Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant Change Path Folders missing

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
tommy.bus
849 Views, 15 Replies

Design Assistant Change Path Folders missing

Hello everyone.  I'm trying to change the path of an assembly in Design assistant.  In the past, my folder structure comes up and I could choose anywhere I wanted to place those files.  Maybe I "hit a setting" but now it only brings up the folder the part curretnly lives in and there's no way for me to navigate anywhere else.  Any ideas what's going on?  I've attached an image for reference.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tommy.bus

Hi! What Inventor release are you on? It seems like the system is only allowed to "see" those folders not the entire drive.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 16
tommy.bus
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm using Inventor 2015.  I seem to recall that I've used Design assistant in the last couple months and not had the issue.

Message 4 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! I could be wrong but I am not aware of any update or hotfix in R2015 could have contributed to this behavior. Do you mind recording a video of the workflow exhibiting the behavior?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 16
tommy.bus

I can certainly try.  Any recommendations on recording software that's free?

Message 6 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! You can try Autodesk Screencast. After you are done recording, just send me the link.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/ENU/123112/files/download-autod...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 16
tommy.bus

Message 8 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! I do see the weird behavior from the video but I cannot reproduce it somehow. Could you do the following test for me on your machine?

1. Start Design Assistant.

2. Go to File -> Open Folder.

Do you see the same behavior?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 16
tommy.bus

No.  It brings up my folder heirarchy and I can navigate wherever I choose.

Message 10 of 16
johnsonshiue

Does it happen on every dataset you tried or only a few? I still cannot think of any reason why the same open dialog would behave different in two different places.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 16
tommy.bus

Yes, it's doing it on all that I've tried.  I've used it at least once within the last two weeks with no problem.

Message 12 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suspect it might be related to MSVC Runtime Library. Could you take a snapshot of the following? I would like to compare the ones installed on your machine with mine.

Go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> scroll down to Microsfot Visual C++ 200x Redistributable ....

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 16
tommy.bus

The image is attached.  I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me.

Message 14 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! The only difference I can see is that you have an older Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable 11.0.50727 installed. In theory, it should not matter, since you do have the same 11.0.61030 installed as mine.

I am not sure if it will help. But, close Inventor and uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable 11.0.50727 for both x64 and x86. Then see if it makes a difference.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 16
bob_holland

Tommy,

Have you checked the IPJ (project file) that you have told Design Assistant to use to make sure that is it not restricting where you are trying to go?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 16 of 16
tommy.bus

I removed the Visual C++ you specified and it didn't change.  

Something else I noticed, maybe I'm just having a few off days but I realize now that I'm clicking "Subfolder" to change the file path and it seems to be limiting me to just the subfolders within that file structure (which makes sense!).  I swear that's how I've always done it but now I can't be sure.  

So, should I be able to change the file location to a different folder from the "Subfolder" tab in Design Assistant?  If not, then it's working as it should and I just really have a bad memory as to how I've been doing things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report