Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived surface not appearing in model

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Justin_DeSilva
2847 Views, 15 Replies

Derived surface not appearing in model

Autodesk Inventor LT

I'm trying to derive a surface .ipt file into my model. After selecting the plus include option, the part file is inserted into the feature manager but the object is no where to be found. Any ideas anyone?

Capture6.jpg

Capture7.jpg

Capture8.jpg

Capture9.jpg

Capture10.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Justin_DeSilva

Import.pngThere should be a yellow plus + symbol next to Solid Bodies and/or Surface Bodies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Justin_DeSilva
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD. Typically yes, but in this instance the gray bubble with a slash remains the same. Can you give it a try?

Message 4 of 16
JDMather

Try this one. (see attached ipt file)

Problem.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
Justin_DeSilva

Thanks JD. Unfortunately I'm currently running Inventor LT 2012. Can you provide me with a 2012 version?

Message 6 of 16
JDMather

Try this one.

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Justin_DeSilva

The .stp translated into 1 composite surface and 1 solid body.

Capture12.jpg

When deriving the part, the options dialog appeared as shown below.

Capture11.jpg

The derived part resulted in a single surface, not shown and a single solid body. Perhaps it's best that I rebuild the components in Rhinoceros, stitch the open seems, and create valid closed solid polysurfaces. I was hoping not to have to do this, but I can't think of any other solutions.

Capture13.jpg

Message 8 of 16
JDMather

Try this revision.

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
Justin_DeSilva

Thanks JD. The parts in the file are viewable but I'm confused by the merging of Surface Bodies Solid 2. The Surface body is not a solid, and thus can't be manipulated as such. Last week I decided to rebuild the components from scratch. Now this may sound tedious at first, but in order to import my models into Keyshot for rendering I must export my model as .step. Creating the components from scratch allows me to easily colorize them in Keyshot. For instance, when creating the screw heads (not shown), tin cavities, or pins, I can combine these solids into a single body, and drop a metalic color onto 1 part, and not 30 individual parts. What did I learn from this? I should build components from scratch for 2 reasons. 1. I can create a component with any number of terminals using rectangular pattern and parameters. 2. If rendering using Keyshot, it's much easier and less time consuming to minimize the number of parts imported into the model.

Capture7.jpg

Message 10 of 16

Hi JD,

I'm having some difficulty with a false body appearing in my model. Can I email you a file I'm owrking on?

Message 11 of 16
JDMather

jmather_at_pct_dot_edu

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
Justin_DeSilva

Got it, thanks.

Message 13 of 16

Hi JD,

I sent you an email and wanted to confirm you received it.

Thanks again

Message 14 of 16
JDMather

No, or at least I don't think so.

I typically get dozens of questions every day - I don't keep track of them.

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
Justin_DeSilva

I double checked the emai l address and it looks accurate. Do you mind checking your spam folder for an email with my name on it?

Capture14.jpg

Message 16 of 16

The given dataset contains composite surface (at least it looks like). The derived part command does not support derive of composite surface only surfaces and solid bodies. However derived assembly supports import of composite surfaces. You can try to insert the part into an assembly and derive the assembly, in the Others tab, expand the part instance node and include the composite surface.

Thanks,

Csaba

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report