Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived Part Not Updating

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
stevec781
1559 Views, 10 Replies

Derived Part Not Updating

I have an assembly that was created from a multi body part using create components.

The part file as an extruded cut through some of the bodies and it worked fine, but I needed to remove the cut from one of the bodies so I edited the feature and de-selected the body.

The assembly and the part file for the body did not update.  Even after full shut down and re-open the cut was still there even though it was gone in the master part file.

I had to open the part file for the body, edit the derived part feature and re-select the body to get it to update.

Question is what else hasnt updated properly?

So just a general warning - dont trust your derived parts.

Using 2011 64. SP0 (still on 0 as too many people posting problems here about SP1)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Inv_kaos
in reply to: stevec781

I haven't noticed any not updating, do you still have a copy of the part file, can you upload it?

AIS 2011 SP1.0

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 11
stevec781

I already fixed my part but easy to re-produce.

Take the attached file and derive the bodies out to an assembly.

Save everything.

Edit the last feature in the master part (cuts the holes) and de-select the middle body.  Hole disappears.

Save and update assembly.  Hole is still there in assembly.  Open the part file for the body.  Hole is still there.

Close everything and re open assembly.  Hole is still there.

Message 4 of 11
johnsonshiue

Good catch! I am forwarding it to development for further review. I can force it to update by edit the Solid2 and edit the Derive node. But, in theory, these steps are not necessary.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11
Inv_kaos

I can't reproduce the problem... If I deselect the middle body the hole disappears, I save, change to the assembly and global update, the hole disappears. I save all files close them, reopen and the hole is still gone, the way it should be. Not sure what we are doing different.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 6 of 11
tvernonbaker

I am experiencing the same problem under the same circumstances:

• Create an assembly from a multi-body part using "Make Components".
  • Extrude a cut through one body (B1) of the multi-body part. The derived assembly updates correctly (shows cut).
  • Edit the extrude feature in the multi-body part to cut a different solid body (B2) so that it should no longer cut B1 ). The derived assembly updates to show new/edited cut into B2, but retains original cut into B1.

I have rebuilt each body multiple times, cold-booted several times, and confirmed that the links with the base components are still working. If I suppress the extrude feature in the multi-body part, the updated cut in the second body disappears, but the original cut remains (with no feature to create it).

Am I doing something wrong?

Autodesk Inventor Version

Message 7 of 11
Inv_kaos
in reply to: tvernonbaker

Can you post the data set?

Stew, AICP
Message 8 of 11
tvernonbaker
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Thanks for your reply.

Attached is an example dataset. I was able to re-create the problem on my first try following the steps I posted above.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
swhite

Did you derive the part by opening a blank part template and deriving ar by making a substitute within the part? Both update differently.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 10 of 11
tvernonbaker
in reply to: swhite

As I said above (not to be snarky), I created a multi-body part and then used "Make Components" (in the "Manage" section of the ribbon) to create an assembly. Inventor automatically creates the derived parts and the assembly, so  I don't create the derived parts in either of the ways you described. 

I am guessing that Inventor's automatic creation of the derived parts is equivalent to me opening a blank part template and deriving.

Message 11 of 11
Inv_kaos
in reply to: tvernonbaker

Hi tvernonbaker,

Yes, essentially it is the same thing whether you push the solids from the MB part or pull them through from the child parts (new part). It does appear it is not updating automatically. Edit the first part in the browser, select the multi-body part reference in the browser, RMB edit derived part. You will now see it update, select ok without making any changes. It is kind of a forced update but at least it will give you a work around on the occasion it does not update automatically.

The new release should be out by the end of the month so hopefully any minor bugs have been corrected by then.

Cheers,

Stew

Stew, AICP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report