Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived part from a specific Ipart item

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
BromanSillito
1821 Views, 5 Replies

Derived part from a specific Ipart item

Is it possible in Inventor to create a derived part from a specific Ipart item, then be able to use a different item from the same Ipart to create a different derived part? From what I've been experiencing, the derived parts change based on my last saved item in the Ipart. In SolidWorks I was able to do this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi! It seems that you are talking about SWX Configuration workflow. I am not familar with the ability and limitation there. But, I am sure you can derive an iPart member file as a new part. And, I am not quite sure what you want to do next. What do you mean by deriving another member as another part?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6

Hi, thanks for the response. What I want to do is create 2 different derived parts from a single Ipart. The derived parts would reference different iPart members. When I try to do this, the derived part only references the active iPart member and will not allow me to use a different iPart member. If I change the active iPart member to a different member and save the file, both derived parts reflect the active member of the iPart. However, I want each derived part to access different iPart members, not the active member. Is this possible?

Message 4 of 6
swalton
in reply to: BromanSillito

Are you deriving the iPart Factory (The file with the iPart table) or an iPart Member (the derived part created with the Generate Files command for each line in the iPart table)?

I could see why you would get the behavior that you are describing if you derive the Factory file, not the Member.  The factory file's geometry changes depending on which table row you activate.  The member's geometry will be constant until you change a value in one of the cells in its row in the Factory file.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 6
swalton
in reply to: BromanSillito

Take a look at the Generate Files section at the bottom of this page from the 2014 help file.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-EE729AFF-C976-475A-A24A-CF61579D3483

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 6
BromanSillito
in reply to: swalton

Okay, I understand now. I didn't understand that Inventor generates new files for every iPart member. I will reference the Member file rather than the Factory file. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report