Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived files - The resolved document is not usable!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Justin_DeSilva
1987 Views, 2 Replies

Derived files - The resolved document is not usable!

Inventor LT

While referencing a derived file I attempted to make revisions to that file only to discover an Inventor error message.

The resolved document is not usable!

Capture9.jpg

I thought I could delete the derived feature but Inventor created an unknown body. After the feature was deleted the body still remained visible in the part file and within the bodies tab. After deleting the body from the tab the file was still currupt.

User mrattray (Mike Rattray) noted in my previous post:

You can't fool Inventor by changing file names. It writes a unique hidden GUID key to every file it creates that it uses to tell files apart. In other words, if you have a part named part1a and you want to eplace it with a new part that was created you can't just delete the old part and stick the new one in the same folder with the name part1a because Inventor will see that the GUID doesn't match.

Mike mentions how Inventor assigns a unique GUID key to each file. You can locate these GUID's in your Old Versions folder. As you can see, any part file can have multiple old versions of itself.

Capture8.jpg

In my case I needed to replace 3-720-7300-0 with 3-720-7300-0.0001. After doing so Inventor successfully opened what was once a currupt file.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ianstern
in reply to: Justin_DeSilva

How did you "replace 3-720-7300-0 with 3-720-7300-0.0001?" Did you do that in the assembly or somewhere else. Could you explain exactly what you did to resolve this problem, as I am having a similar one. How did you know what had to be replaced?

Message 3 of 3
Justin_DeSilva
in reply to: ianstern

Not in the assembly. I replaced 3-720-7300-0.ipt with 3-720-7300-0.0001.ipt by copying 3-720-7300-0.0001.ipt from the OldVersions folder to the folder it was located in and derived from. The process was trial an error, I copied each old version back to it's root folder until the part file would re-open successfully. This was done by exiting and re-opening the part file until the derived feature error didn't appear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report