Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derive error

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BarryZA
274 Views, 6 Replies

Derive error

I have "repaired" another designers assembly, containing multiple sub-assemblies, so that all links are resolved. I have left the unresolved content centre parts out for now.

His assembly is very badly constrained, so before I mess it up I want to derive the assembly and break the link so that I know the (hopefully) correct positions of the sub-assemblies.

However, when I try to do this I get the error "The base feature for the derived component could not be opened"

My Googling so far seems to be on a tangent, so if anyone can help, or point me in the right direction, you would save me, as well as Africa's coffee reserves!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: BarryZA

Explain exactly the steps you are using to Derive Component.

First do a Manage>Rebuild All (or something like that) in the assembly.

Any errors?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
BarryZA
in reply to: JDMather

Greetings Dr.

I did the rebuild, no errors returned. I see at the top of my browser tree, my assembly file name has a circle with a red "?" inside.

Maybe I missed a link in a sub-sub-assembly or something.

I have tried the "create substitute" button, it still won't derive.

I opened every sub-sub-sub assembly and deleted all the unresolved nuts and bolts, now the red "?" has disappeared. The derive works perfectly now. Once again I have to learn to interpret every mm of my screen.

So it looks like there will be some beans left over after all.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@BarryZA wrote:

Greetings Dr.

I did the rebuild, no errors returned. I see at the top of my browser tree, my assembly file name has a circle with a red "?"

That sounds like a contradiction.
Can you attach a screen shot of the browser tree (at least the top)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
BarryZA

See my edit above please JD. I don't have an online storage acc set up at the moment, one of the many things I need to do.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@BarryZA wrote:

I don't have an online storage acc set up at the moment, one of the many things I need to do.

Why would you need an online storage account (I don't)? 
You can attach images and files directly to posts here.

Sounds like you got the Derived sorted.
I was searching for a list of the browser symbols for definitions, but the WikiHelp is so slow today that it is unusable for me.

Message 7 of 7
BarryZA

Thank-you for your help J.D.

Every now and then I end up with what Robert Pirsig would refer to as a "gumption trap". But with people like you who go the extra mile, we can only move forward. Even those of us who haven't looked for the image btton until now Smiley Happy 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report