Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demoted framemembers get forced grounded?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cahoe
1238 Views, 5 Replies

Demoted framemembers get forced grounded?

I made a construction with the frame generator from a single sketch.

I managed to select a handfull of framemembers an demote them to a new subassembly.

Now it turns up Grounded with the grounded options grayed out?

Do I have to delete it and replace it?

Seems odd?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: cahoe

Possibly because they are still controlled by the sketch in your FG assembly, and therefore can only move if the sketch moves?  I've never played with demoting members of a frame like that, I usually just build them independently and control location with constraints at the top level.

Message 3 of 6
Cadmanto

It is not really odd if you think about the way FG works.  You create a sketch and insert that into an assembly (which is already a sub-assembly in most cases) that using that sketch with in the assembly you place your frame pieces.

It makes sense to me why it is greyed out.  It is still tied back to your orginal assembly.

I have to ask, why are you needing to demote frame generated parts?  To me it is easier and less confusing to just create an new sketch and new assembly.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 6
swhite

Yah, if you want to be able to move things around, you need to insert your frame generated assemblies and subassemblies into another assembly. You can build them all in one assembly, which I always label as master, but you cannot move them around in that assembly as they are tied to the sketches and skeletons. Start a new assembly and insrt all your subassemblies into it, then you can move them where you please without woring about messing up your master. And as I found out the hard way, NEVER unground the original sketch used to make the parts 🙂

I always see mention of not demoting parts, but I have never made a FG assembly without doing that. The original I leave as master, then demote all parts into their prospective subassemblies, makes such a smooth workflow in my opinion.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 6
cahoe
in reply to: swhite

Thanks guys... solid advice!
Message 6 of 6
cahoe
in reply to: Cadmanto

Cadmanto.. your right.. Just have to wrap my head around the inventor way

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report