Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demote Solid bodies to Sub Assemblies

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
johnster100
707 Views, 3 Replies

Demote Solid bodies to Sub Assemblies

Hi There,

I have an assembly file for a fan casing. We reuse this model and scale it up and doen depending on the size of fan.

For transportation we split the caing into several parts and join using flanges. The number and angle of splits changes depending on the job and geometry.

To model this we share a sketch through the parts and use the split solid command to split them.

I would like to able to create sub assemblies from the main assembly so that drawings and masses can be obtained for the sub assemblies. However, the 'Demote' command does not allow you pick individual solids from a multi solid part.

I have tried creating new parts from the split solids but these are not in the correct location as they are not constrained correctly.

Is there a way to use the Demote command as I am proposing? or is there a different method to split my parts?

thanks,

John

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: johnster100

@johnster100 wrote:

I have tried creating new parts from the split solids but these are not in the correct location as they are not constrained correctly.

John

I don't understand this statement.  Can you post an example dataset here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
johnster100

hi,

I have tried using the 'Make Part' and 'Make Components' tool. But this makes new parts which if put into the assembly have to be reconstrained.

thanks again,

John

Message 4 of 4
JDMather

@johnster100 wrote:

hi,

I have tried using the 'Make Part' and 'Make Components' tool. But this makes new parts which if put into the assembly have to be reconstrained.

thanks again,

John

Use Make Components and set it to create an assembly of the new components (this is the default).
All of the parts in this assembly will be grounded in the same position they are in the master multi-body file.

This is most likely what you want.  If there is any motion you want, then unground appropriate parts and add constraints.

Because everything was modeled in body postition - everthing can be grounded that doesn't move.  If you change the master - the assembly will update.

Use this assembly as a sub-assembly in your main assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report