Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Title Block

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
7437 Views, 12 Replies

Deleting Title Block

I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing title block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not visible in the tree. What am I missing something? Thanks, Kirk -- IV R8, sp1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I just tried it on a new blank sheet and get the same message. Here is a screen shot of the sheet. I have to be missing something that is keeping me from deleting the title block. Ideas? -- IV R8, sp1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "Kirk A." wrote in message news:412cfa9a_2@newsprd01... > I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the > title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I > thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing title > block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess > what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): > > Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command > > I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the > title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not visible > in the tree. > > What am I missing something? > > Thanks, > Kirk > -- > IV R8, sp1 > Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 > 2 Gb ram > nVidia FX1000 > 6.14.10.6808Driver > 1260x1024x32 bit > > > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Expand Sheet Resources and delete the sheet format definitions. QBZ "Kirk A." wrote in message news:412cfd74_3@newsprd01... > I just tried it on a new blank sheet and get the same message. Here is a > screen shot of the sheet. I have to be missing something that is keeping me > from deleting the title block.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Does not work that way...... You cannot replace with the SAME NAME. 1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then save as a new name...... 2. In the same IDW, click on resources, RMB on the newly named title block, select Copy 3. Open the IDW to be updated, select resources>Title block and RMB - Paste Dennis Kirk A. wrote: >I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the >title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I >thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing title >block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess >what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): > >Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command > >I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the >title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not visible >in the tree. > >What am I missing something? > >Thanks, >Kirk > > -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Also, you cannot delete the default title block, aka ANSI-Large. Dennis Jeffrey wrote: > Does not work that way...... You cannot replace with the SAME NAME. > > 1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then > save as a new name...... > 2. In the same IDW, click on resources, RMB on the newly named title > block, select Copy > 3. Open the IDW to be updated, select resources>Title block and RMB - Paste > > Dennis > > Kirk A. wrote: > >> I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the >> title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I >> thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing >> title >> block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess >> what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): >> >> Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command >> >> I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the >> title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not >> visible >> in the tree. >> >> What am I missing something? >> >> Thanks, >> Kirk >> >> > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

ANSI-Large.... That may be the problem. -- IV R8, sp1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "Hal Gwin" wrote in message news:412d08bb$1_2@newsprd01... > Also, you cannot delete the default title block, aka ANSI-Large. > > Dennis Jeffrey wrote: > > > Does not work that way...... You cannot replace with the SAME NAME. > > > > 1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then > > save as a new name...... > > 2. In the same IDW, click on resources, RMB on the newly named title > > block, select Copy > > 3. Open the IDW to be updated, select resources>Title block and RMB - Paste > > > > Dennis > > > > Kirk A. wrote: > > > >> I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the > >> title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I > >> thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing > >> title > >> block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess > >> what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): > >> > >> Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command > >> > >> I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the > >> title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not > >> visible > >> in the tree. > >> > >> What am I missing something? > >> > >> Thanks, > >> Kirk > >> > >> > > > > -- > Hal Gwin > Mechanical Designer > Xenogen > > W2K SP4 > Dell Precision 650 > Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon > 1.5 GB DDR > Quadro4 900 XGL > nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update > Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

>1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then save as a new name...... That did the trick. Thanks. -- IV R8, sp1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "Dennis Jeffrey" wrote in message news:412d053a$1_3@newsprd01... > Does not work that way...... You cannot replace with the SAME NAME. > > 1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then > save as a new name...... > 2. In the same IDW, click on resources, RMB on the newly named title > block, select Copy > 3. Open the IDW to be updated, select resources>Title block and RMB - Paste > > Dennis > > Kirk A. wrote: > > >I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the > >title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I > >thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing title > >block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess > >what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): > > > >Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command > > > >I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the > >title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not visible > >in the tree. > > > >What am I missing something? > > > >Thanks, > >Kirk > > > > > > -- > Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user > Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert > Autodesk Product Consulting and Training > Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence > http://www.omicronmi.com > http://www.design-excellence.com > 260-312-6188 >
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Darn, does that mean I need to go into the tens of thousands of IDWs we have without ANSI-Large and put that definition back in? :-( Kirk A. wrote: >ANSI-Large.... That may be the problem. > > >
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

O.K. everyone, cbliss and Quinn is right (not that I ever doubted either). If I delete ALL of the sheet formats, I can then delete the ANSI-Large title block. Another way around this is to save the new title block as a different name and have both of them as a resource. Who knows, I may have to put the original back in. Thanks for the help. Kirk "cbliss" wrote in message news:412d46a8$1_3@newsprd01... > Darn, does that mean I need to go into the tens of thousands of IDWs we > have without ANSI-Large and put that definition back in? :-( > > Kirk A. wrote: > > >ANSI-Large.... That may be the problem. > > > > > >
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

For what it's worth, in r9, if you copy a title block from one file and paste it into another file with a title block of the same name (right-click on Drawing Resources > Title Blocks node), you are prompted to redefine or munge the name (not the exact prompt ;). This only works for title blocks at this point. -- Chris Palmatier Inventor Product Design Team "Kirk A." wrote in message news:412d0b00_1@newsprd01... > >1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then save > as a new name...... > > That did the trick. Thanks. > > -- > IV R8, sp1 > Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 > 2 Gb ram > nVidia FX1000 > 6.14.10.6808Driver > 1260x1024x32 bit > > > "Dennis Jeffrey" wrote in message > news:412d053a$1_3@newsprd01... > > Does not work that way...... You cannot replace with the SAME NAME. > > > > 1. In the IDW with the new title block, edit the title block and then > > save as a new name...... > > 2. In the same IDW, click on resources, RMB on the newly named title > > block, select Copy > > 3. Open the IDW to be updated, select resources>Title block and RMB - > Paste > > > > Dennis > > > > Kirk A. wrote: > > > > >I have made several drawings for a customer. Now he wants to change the > > >title block (imagine that). I didn't think it would be any problem. I > > >thought that I could update my idw template, then delete the existing > title > > >block in the drawings and then paste this revised one in. Guess > > >what....will not work. I get this error (see screen shot): > > > > > >Delete Selections: Problems encountered while executing this command > > > > > >I have deleted everything in every sheet that has anything to do with the > > >title block. I promise, it is not being used. If it is, it is not > visible > > >in the tree. > > > > > >What am I missing something? > > > > > >Thanks, > > >Kirk > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user > > Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert > > Autodesk Product Consulting and Training > > Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence > > http://www.omicronmi.com > > http://www.design-excellence.com > > 260-312-6188 > > > >
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

However, if you copy a sheet from one drawing into another and they both have title block definitions of the same name, it uses the current one. This causes a bit of a problem if the goal is to update the title block definition. Also in the API, I have not found a way or renaming the title block definitions so that if there is a name conflict, you can change the existing one and have both the old and new names. To make it even more convoluted, you cannot delete Sheet Format via the API hence if you wanted to "rename" or update title block definitions by deleting and replacing them, you can't do it because the sheet format will not let the Title Block definitions be deleted. Not hard to guess what I am trying to write. Chris Palmatier [Autodesk] wrote: >For what it's worth, in r9, if you copy a title block from one file and >paste it into another file with a title block of the same name (right-click >on Drawing Resources > Title Blocks node), you are prompted to redefine or >munge the name (not the exact prompt ;). > >This only works for title blocks at this point. > > >
Message 12 of 13
kschumacher

Is there anyway of automating the deletion of a title block?

I went and changed about 300 drawings from "ABC" title block to "XYZ".

I would now like to delete "ABC" title block from all those drawings.

(I know, I should have done this when I inserted "XYZ" title block,  but it's water under the bridge.)

Using Inventor 2012

TIA,

Ken -

Message 13 of 13
Mike_Maenpaa
in reply to: kschumacher

I don't have Inv. 2012, so there may be a better way.

Here's a little macro I tried in Inv. 2010.

You could use the macro with Kent's KWiKBatchRun which you can find at

http://www.kwikmcad.com/icode/32bit/32BitAddins.aspx

Mike

Public Sub Delete_ABC()
    ' Set a reference to the drawing document.
    ' This assumes a drawing document is active.
    Dim oDrawDoc As DrawingDocument
    Set oDrawDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
    oDrawDoc.Update

' Obtain a reference to the desired Title Block definition.
    Dim oTitleBlockDef As TitleBlockDefinition
    Set oTitleBlockDef = oDrawDoc.TitleBlockDefinitions.Item("XYZ")

' Set a reference to count all sheets in document
    Dim oSheets As Sheets
    Set oSheets = oDrawDoc.Sheets

Dim iSheets As Integer
    For iSheets = 1 To oSheets.Count

' Check to see if the sheet already has a Title Block and delete it if it does.
    If Not oSheets(iSheets).TitleBlock Is Nothing Then
        oSheets(iSheets).TitleBlock.Delete
    End If

Next

' Delete the Title Block from the document
    oTitleBlockDef.Delete

End Sub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report