Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted the entire Vault..!!!

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
joelhansell
1215 Views, 42 Replies

Deleted the entire Vault..!!!

Hello,

Yesterday i was cleaning up the files on the server which contains the ADMS/Vault. Within a folder i'd aptly named "Vault" contained my companies design and model data which we've been using for about 5 months.

I had some microsoft issues with Vault but other than that it's no been to bad. During my "file management" purge i noticed a folder which i'd seen previously but paid little attention to. The folder is labeled "000" and has approx 10-15 sub folders named the same and then branches off sporadically into numbers which had little meaning to me.

Now i'm sure reading this your advice is going to be questions like "did you back up" or "did you not know what those folders were for" and i love the stating of the obvious as the next person but let's just say hind sights a hell of a thing for now 🙂

I checked each of the folders named "000" and below for any files and i couldn't find anything and when right clicked, the properties contained 0 bytes. Now i'm sure the skilled IT person is rolling there eyes right now but let's stay on topic.

I deleted the folders thinking they were meaningless.

After some intial confusion with a few new Vista machines that were being installed during my clean up we realised this wasn't a cancel or allow problem that was preventing the entire design team from accessing the Vault but it seems those "000" folder heirachy had something to do with all the models in the Vault.

After a discussion with the Autodesk reseller support dude, he's indicated that i've deleted my companies entire design/model data which were some how contained with in those 0 byte "000" folders.

Now my boss right now is asking me what has happend and i must say i'm pretty curious myself but i can't give him an answer becasue i don't know.

1. How a folder which contains nothing can have such disasterous ramifications when deleted without even a "are you sure you want to delete this folder becasue if you do you'll probably loose you job" message and

2. Why create a program called Vault which can be easily deleted in one foul swoop by a lamen fool ie. ME

i can't access a single model that was securily kept in the Vault and two, i deleted the folder in the server from my pc so it's in no recycle bin and as previously mentioned no back up exist - don't say it i already know 🙂

So please please please if anyone has any unobvious and pro-active advice on retreiveing or knows the wherabouts of our model data could you please give me some advice because i'm a little lost at the moment.

Also some information on what those folders mean would be advantages for future information and don't worry the IT department is being torn to shreds for information as to why the server was not backed up at this time.

Help me God

Joel Message was edited by: Discussion Admin
42 REPLIES 42
Message 41 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: joelhansell

Take a look around, do you see him nearby?

;)

Mike

wrote in message news:6017264@discussion.autodesk.com...
The person who told him to make more room because the didn't want to spend a
couple bucks on more storage.

Why does this thread keep coming up?
And more importantly, does anyone know if the OP is all right? At the very
least, he could have gone to a public library to post that he lost that job
and is living on the street.
Message 42 of 43
donovan_cox
in reply to: joelhansell

including on a live vault?

if it did, i could have used this years ago, when a guy decided to move his filestore while the vault was live.

yes i know it's an old thread
Message 43 of 43
coviepresb1647
in reply to: Anonymous

OBE, u2.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report