Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete work features from derived part

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
stephengibson76
1604 Views, 13 Replies

Delete work features from derived part

How do I delete work plane 1 from the attached part, 'test derived'?

workflow.

create a part, pattern a plane, save as 'test deriver'

create new part, derive work plane 1 from 'test deriver' sketch onto work plane 1, save as test derived

go back to 'test deriver, delete the pattern and create a new pattern, work plane 2, (i couldnt just edit it because the real life case was a series of patterns at different distances)

open part 'test derived', edit the derived part to include work plane 2, (work plane 1 doesnt exist in 'test deriver' anymore)

redefine the sketch onto work plane 2

try to get rid of work plane 1 from the part???

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: stephengibson76

Eagerly awaiting the answer to this-- I have a derived Work Axis that I can't get rid of.

Message 3 of 14

I would still like to know how to do this...  I have quite a few files that I would like to clean up

(frames assemblies on a ship, where I changed the frame spacing work features I derived into the assemblies)

Stephen Gibson

Message 4 of 14
ic198

No idea, but it is an absurd situation that caught me out recently so I posted an idea about it here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

Please comment or kudos it if you agree, hopefully Autodesk will sort it out.

I've sometimes managed to get rid of features that are derived in by deriving in something esle from the same part, but I just tried that and couldn't make it work for my example parts.

Message 5 of 14
karthur1

I could not delete the workplane1 either.  About all that I could do is turn off the visibility of it in the test derived part.

I did notice some weirdness going on with the placement of the test deriver in the test derived part.  Why does the origins not align between them?  When I derive in a part into another part, the origin planes and axis always match each other. Not sure what is going on there.

"Excuse me Boss, your component is made out of cheese".  Thats pretty neat.

Kirk

Message 6 of 14

Sounds like maybe my problem is related to this one?  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Construction-surfaces-visible-in-presentation/td-p/47... Would love to hear some thoughts.

Message 7 of 14

Bringing this one back from the dead...

Using 2018 now, and derived workfeatures are still persistent in derived parts even after the parent part has been edited to remove or redefine that particular feature.  I've got a lot of mess in some of my files with all sorts of workfeatures that don't exist in the parent part anymore.

Many of them are generated using the same workfeature definition in the parent part, just changed the feature using the "redefine feature" in the parent part.  I.e. a workplane that is constructed parallel to an existing plane with an offset of 1.  Derive into child part, work plane shows up as "Work Plane 1".  Go back to parent, redefine the workplane by changing the dimension to an offset of 2.  Update child part, "Work Plane 1" still exists, as well as a new "Work Plane 1_1"

The auto-renaming of the new feature is going to mess with my scripts down the line...how do I get rid of any vestige of "Work Plane 1"?

Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: skylinejeff

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Do you mind posting an example here or send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14

Hi John,

This was a while ago but believe i attached a part with my original post

Stephen Gibson

Message 10 of 14

Hi Stephen,

I did see the files you attached a while back. The files were created and last saved in 2012. I vaguely remember we had a corruption like this but it was fixed in later releases. I was hoping that @skylinejeff would provide a set of files created in later releases. It would mean the corruption is not yet completely resolved.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
ic198
in reply to: skylinejeff

I'm using 2018 and I've just had an issue where I redefine a workplane and then when I go to update parts that plane is derived into they don't know an update is required. The redefined workplane shows up in the old location until you Edit Derived Part and then click OK, and then the plane changes to the new location. This is not ideal...

Message 12 of 14
ic198
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue

I'm not sure if this is the behaviour that @skylinejeff found but it is seriously undesirable. I have attached two parts. Derived base.ipt defines Work Plane2, which is then derived into Derived.ipt. Work Plane2 is defined as Offset from Plane from Datum 0. If you redefine it as Parallel to Plane through Point, using the point in Sketch11 and Datum 0 as the plane and then go to Derived.ipt, the plane does not move, and does not show as needing to be updated. Only if you go Edit Derived Part does it move.

Weirdly it works fine going in the other direction i.e. if you get it all working and then move it back to the start definition/locaiton it updates as you would expect.

Message 13 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ic198

Hi! This is a bug. The associativity should remain and the workplane should be updated accordingly. I will work with feature team to understand this behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 14

@stephengibson76 @ic198, This issue has been resolved in Inventor R2019 Internal build, and you could join the Inventor R2019 beta to have a try when the beta 1 is available.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-beta-project-how-do-i-get-access/td-p/6010287  

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report