Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Line deletes points too?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
CelticDesignServices
354 Views, 12 Replies

Delete Line deletes points too?

I have a user who is working on the attached file and for whatever reason, if he inserts a line and then deletes it, the most of, if not all the points that were already in the sketch are deleted as well. They have no connection to the line either.

Any ideas?

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I opened the .ipt in Inv2013 Pro, but I didn't see the behaviour you described.

I added lines and then deleted them, none of the existing points were deleted.

I also added lines, finished sketch, reopened sketch for editing and then deleted lines all without any effect on the existing lines and points.

I tried the same things in Inv2012 Pro with the same results.

HTH

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 13

Really?

Odd because I'm able to duplicate what the user is seeing (both on 2012 with all current SP's).

I'll have to attempt this on my personal seat of Ultimate when I get back to the office.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 4 of 13

Here's a "before" and "after" screen shot when I delete the middle line:

Before:

Before.JPG

After:

After.JPG

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 5 of 13

If you mean the diagonal line that is unconstrained at the bottom of the geometry, then yes, I can delete that line without any effect to the points or any other part of the geometry.

See the attached image, where I have deleted most of the lines without affecting any of the points.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 6 of 13

Hmm,

I could only wonder what the issue is then.

Could it be a local (client) setting?

If I can't duplicate the error on my own seat of 2012 later tonight, I'll have to assume it's a localized issue.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 7 of 13

It certainly seems strange. I'm sure I have seen similar occurances in Inventor before, where doing one thing affects another, but unfortunately in this case I couldn't reproduce your results. As you already suspect, it's probably something local.

I'd certainly be curious to know what the cause is though, considering that both of you have seen the same behaviour.

I guess the only thing you can do is to make sure everything is up to date, Windows, graphics card drivers etc... 

Do you have SP1 installed on 2012?

Regards
Andy M
Message 8 of 13

For whatever it is worth - I would never create a 3D sketch with points like that.

Nearly all my 3D sketches are generated from 2D sketches - much easier to create and infinitely easier to edit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 13

Trumpy & JD,

Trumpy, yes, we are all up to date with Service Packs, drivers, etc.

JD, I agree with you. I'm not sure what the deal is but lets just say this is from a diehard SW user, you being a certified SW guy, does it look like a workflow of SW...to do sketches like that?

I'm not even sure what the points are needed for but that's beside the point here.

I never got the chance to open this file up on my office system last night, hoping I can tonight.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 10 of 13

I see the same behavior as you.  I see it with the file you posted.  Also, strangely enough, I saw this very same thing happen to me yesterday with a part I was working on.  First time I ever saw it, then I see your post today about the same thing!

I was also working in a 3D sketch, by the way.  I was able to re-arrange my geometry to get around the issue.

Message 11 of 13

Here's the weird thing on this.....I can't duplicate it if I start a new file. I can only duplicate it in the same file I posted.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 12 of 13

Hi CelticDesignServices,

There is a bit if difference in the way that sketch points and center points are deleted. In general sketch points (simple dot) are deleted when the associated geometry is deleted. Center points (point cross) are not deleted in the same case. This might explain some of what you're encountering.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 13

Curtis,

Yes, I considered that. But I just verified the issue we're seeing is only with that sketch. If I start a new sketch in the same file, using the exact same points, etc, then delete the lines, everything works as you'd expect.

But if I add lines to that original sketch, no matter what I do, I get the bad results.

Not knowing how this sketch was created or what iterations its been through, I have to assume it's gone corrupt.

I just advised the user to delete the sketch in question and start a new one.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report