Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay Problem in Resolve Link with Project

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Crstiano
1680 Views, 5 Replies

Delay Problem in Resolve Link with Project

I got a support contact a customer due to delay in opening some certain designs.

The client works with a single project file to all your machines projects, being:
 - 1 path in WorkSpace
 - 1 path in WorkGroup
 - 1 path in Content Center

After some testing I noticed that the drawings that had some missing file and fix the broken link needed had the problem of delay in opening. (9min for appears the resolve link screen) (simple drawing with 1view of the model inserted)

So I did a simple test.

Define a new project, the existing Default.ipj. And open the same file. To our surprise, the screen Resolve Link quickly appeared (30sec), quite different from the other project used. 

My opinion of this delay, the current project, contains over 1million files easily. And as in the case of an Inventor file lost link searches for the file in the paths defined in the project, eventually causes loss of time behind files.

Before course, I also performed the same test on file with the option "Defer Update" and even then there was a delay(7min) in opening the file. 

This visibly clear that, when using a project with a workspace without files, and open a file Inventor does not do research, trying to find substitutes for the file.

My question is:
The Defer Update should not simply ignore the model file and do not make the search, just opening the file?
And also
Is there any way to set a file IPJ, with any paths in WorkGroups, and Inventor, not to make a search for the file in other locations, just as it existed previously, and display the screen Resolve Link?

Cristiano Oliveira
Developer Addins | Consultant CAD/PLM | CAD Manager
https://www.ConsultCAD.com/

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi Crstiano,

If you edit your Project file and expand the Options node in the Edit Project pane, you'll see the Using Unique File Names option. I typically recommend setting this to No even if you are using unique file names (which I also recommend). This setting doesn't really enforce unique file names, it merely searches for them. So I find it to cause more problems than it solves.

Where I find it to be particularly problematic is when I rename a file in order to purposely break a link so that I can resolve the link to a different file. For instance when working with derived parts and trying to point the part to a new revision of the derived part file. If Using Unique File Names option is set to Yes, Inventor searches every folder/file in the project and takes a long time to tell me what I already know: the file can't be found. However, if I set this option to No, Inventor immediately throws the resolve file dialog and allows me to redirect the link.

I've not noticed any problems with setting this option to No, but again we use a very structured file naming scheme that precludes non-unique file names from happening.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: Crstiano

Inventor still needs to look at the IAM or IPT file to build the IDW even with Defer Updates selected.

I don't know of any way myself to halt the search for Resolve Links, other than to have your Project File contain all the proper paths. It needs to do the search through all the directories in the path prior to throwing up the Resolve.

Again we are the same as Curtis, we have very structured Projects and all items fall inside the scope of the Project File.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6

Hi Curtis/Blair,

I had forgotten about this option. And you are correct, at the moment this option causes more problems than it prevents. The company is well structured.

Only complementing your comments, in my opinion the Defer Update should also disable this search, thus avoiding this delay. What do you think? (But this I will propose today in the Beta Forum.)

Thanks for all.

Cristiano Oliveira

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 6
blair
in reply to: Crstiano

I have always questioned the "Defer Updates" option in the IDW environment. All views are called from either the IPT or IAM file. All the Defer is doing is stopping any changes from the primary data base from updating the view. It still has to compare the existing view to what the current view would be. If the Defer option stopped any "look-up" then you would not be able to make any changes at all to the existing IDW. You couldn't add a dim or balloon item as nothing is being read from the source document/file. It would for most part become un-linked from the IPT or IAM. Currently it's still linked.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
Crstiano
in reply to: blair

Well IdeaStation posted on:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232/status-key/v22

Thank you once again and if they can raise this wishlist.

Cristiano Oliveira

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report