Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining Surfaces and/or Materials, BOM

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tycospard
339 Views, 1 Reply

Defining Surfaces and/or Materials, BOM

I have successfully opened a STEP file from our Engineering group and saved it away as an Inventor Assembly. I would like to define Materials and/or Surface finishes for all parts. Why wouldn't the Surfaces and Materials synchronize between the Styudio's Surface Creator and the BOM Materials Control in the Assembly area?

I have found the way to define a new Surface in the "Inventor Studio" Interface and saved it with a unique name. Now, I would like to assign that Surface as a Material to the parts in the assembly ... and of course I would like to define numerous other surfaces and materials for assignment to all the parts throughout the assembly. Finally, I would like these surfaces / materials to follow the model into Showcase for presentation purposes.

Can someone PLEASE point out a Tutorial or a well defined instruction set for this process?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
tycospard
in reply to: tycospard

@tycospard wrote:

I have successfully opened a STEP file from our Engineering group and saved it away as an Inventor Assembly. I would like to define Materials and/or Surface finishes for all parts. Why wouldn't the Surfaces and Materials synchronize between the Styudio's Surface Creator and the BOM Materials Control in the Assembly area?

I have found the way to define a new Surface in the "Inventor Studio" Interface and saved it with a unique name. Now, I would like to assign that Surface as a Material to the parts in the assembly Did this by selecting the part from the Browser HIerarchy and choosing a Color Style in the Color Style Pull Down menu ... and of course I would like to define numerous other surfaces and materials for assignment to all the parts throughout the assembly. Finally, I would like these surfaces / materials to follow the model into Showcase for presentation purposes. This is not happening.

Also, when i check the BOM in Inventor - thinking the system's color / material styles and those I created - would be the Material listed for each part ... this is not the case. It remains a "Default" material. When i double-click the material to select a new material the Custom Material I created in the Color / Material Styles Editor IS NOT AVAILABLE. 

Can someone PLEASE point out a Tutorial or a well defined instruction set for the process of defining material / color styles that follow the part through the assembly sand BOM in Inventor then on to Showcase?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report