Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defer Update of Drawing AFTER an assembly has been revised??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jeanchile
2776 Views, 9 Replies

Defer Update of Drawing AFTER an assembly has been revised??

Hello all,

I run into this a few times a year and am hoping someone has a workflow that will make my life easier.

Sometimes I need to revise an assembly/part and I forget to open the drawing first and check a few things before I do. Inevitably my B-Hole employees (that's right, you know who you are if you are reading this! Smiley Tongue) don't constrain their section lines and I end up losing a whole bunch of annotations that I then need to put back.

Is there a way to defer the updates to a drawing outside of the document settings for that drawing? I need to open this up, tie down their section lines, attach the detail cuts, etc. then get it to update. Thanks for the help.

Inventor Professional
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: jeanchile

Found it!!

Defer Updates.png

Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 10
jletcher

Yes you found it but I believe you cannot edit and do what you want with defer on..

Message 4 of 10
jeanchile

Nevermind, that didn't work. I can't edit the section line sketches unless I update the drawing which defeats the purpose. Anyone have any other ideas?

P.S. How do you "un-accept as solution"? I hit the button before I had thoroughly tested what I though was the answer.

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: jletcher

You're right James. I just found that out after I posted. Do you have any ideas on something else I can do by chance?

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 10

Hi  jeanchile,

Depending upon the extent of the changes, you might be able to save off a copy of the modified assembly (and parts if any of them were modified in a way that break the annotations) and use the Old Versions folder to restore the file(s). Then open the drawing and constrain annotation as needed. However, since you use Frame Generator a lot. your changes might be too significant for this to help though?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the help as always Curtis. Apparently we/I save too often for this to be a viable workflow for us. I went back to the old versions and they are still updated to some degree and not usable. I just had to go back and add/fix all the annotations for this one.

I have instituted a policy change though and everyone is excited about it. From now on whenever we find someone who has not constrained their section sketches or attached their details they have to stand at the end of the ping pong table while everyone at the office gets to hit one ping pong ball at them.

I'm not sure it's a big enough deterrent but everyone has agreed to this new policy so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Inventor Professional
Message 8 of 10
mrattray

Use the ping pong balls for first offenders.
Second time offenders have to grab hold of the secondary side of a running automotive ignition system.
Third time offenders get whipped by a cat o' nine tails.
Fourth time offenders get fitted for cement shoes and tossed in a lake.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 10

@mrattray wrote:
Use the ping pong balls for first offenders.
Second time offenders have to grab hold of the secondary side of a running automotive ignition system.
Third time offenders get whipped by a cat o' nine tails.
Fourth time offenders get fitted for cement shoes and tossed in a lake.

Even then I suspect there would be those who manage to crawl from the lake and will sit soaking wet and continue to not constrain their section and detail views. Smiley Wink

The only cure I know for this sort of thing is to politely ask the user themselves to fix the issue he or she created. I'm guilty of these sorts of things when it comes to dealing with our MRP system. It was only when I began having to fix the issues myself did I start remembering to do it right from the beginning. Smiley Embarassed

Message 10 of 10
Boorda

I know this is a bit old, but in case anyone else is having an issue with Annotations disappearing with view update try this....

TOOLS > DOCUMENT SETTINGS

Orhaned Annotations

This setting wont save annotations from breaking or becoming detached but it will make sure they are retained.

Change the color so that they stand out, then reattach them where they need to go.

Automation is key!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report