Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Search Paths aren’t saving

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
brent_e_barbour
384 Views, 11 Replies

Default Search Paths aren’t saving

We recently upgraded to Inventor 2015 and upgraded to Windows 7. I go to Tools>Application Options>Files and Tools>Application Options>iFeature to set all my default search paths. The settings stick until I end the session. When I reopen Inventor, all the settings are back to the original defaults. My first thought is this is a writes issue. So, I logged into my computer as the local administrator, added my domain user account and gave that account “Power User” rights. That didn’t work. So I upgraded the rights to “Administrator” and still didn’t work. Any ideas? Is there a file the “Application Options” reside in that I can change manually? Actually if such a file exists, it’ll be very helpful because then I can copy the file to the other users since we all use the same search paths.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: brent_e_barbour

Are you able to try this with a different login?  Most (all?) of the Application Options are saved in the registry (per user), and should certainly be retained from session to session.  Sounds as if there is a problem with your particular login profile.

Once you get your settings the way you want them, you can use the Export button at the bottom of the dialog box to save them in a .xml file, and this file can be imported into any session of Inventor to restore those settings.  You can also edit the .xml file to take out settings that you don't want overwritten (user name, for example) when importing into someone else's Inventor session.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 3 of 12
brent_e_barbour
in reply to: SBix26

I tried a different profile on a different computer and got the same results.  Could it have anything to do with the paths are leading to a shared server drive?  The project workspace seems to stay which is on the local drive.

BTW, thanks for the export/import tip.  That at least saved me from having to reset the paths everytime.

Message 4 of 12
Cadmanto

Try pathing to a created directory on your local and that will answer your question.

Also, try saving the pathing in your template file and create a new file from that template and see if it makes any difference.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 12
SBix26

@brent_e_barbour wrote:

I tried a different profile on a different computer and got the same results.  Could it have anything to do with the paths are leading to a shared server drive?  The project workspace seems to stay which is on the local drive.

BTW, thanks for the export/import tip.  That at least saved me from having to reset the paths everytime.

We work the same way you are trying to do, and it's fine here.  I don't have any good explanation for why your computers will not allow Inventor to save those settings.  

If you want to dig further, use Regedit.exe to look in your registry (don't change anything unless you are sure what you're doing!!).  Expand this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\System\Preferences.  This is where Application Options are stored, along with a boatload of other stuff.  You can right click on any key and select Permissions... to find out what kind of access you have.

Sam B

Message 6 of 12
salariua

I've been having problems saving the settings with more than one inventor sessions open. The settings from the last inventor window I close down became active.

I only change settings with one inventor sessions opened.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 7 of 12
brent_e_barbour
in reply to: Cadmanto

Using local paths only kept for the project location but didn't work for the others.  What is the default template file with all the profile settings called?  Where is it stored?  I exported my settings to a xml file.  I even replaced what I thought was the default template file with my exported xml file.  However, it didn't work.

Message 8 of 12
brent_e_barbour

@sbixler wrote:

@brent_e_barbour wrote:

We work the same way you are trying to do, and it's fine here.  I don't have any good explanation for why your computers will not allow Inventor to save those settings.  

If you want to dig further, use Regedit.exe to look in your registry (don't change anything unless you are sure what you're doing!!).  Expand this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\System\Preferences.  This is where Application Options are stored, along with a boatload of other stuff.  You can right click on any key and select Permissions... to find out what kind of access you have.

Sam B

Everything seems ok in the registy.  However, I was reluctent to chage anything.  I only know enough about the registy to be dangerous.

Message 9 of 12
SBix26

So you're saying that you have full control for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor and everything below it?  If you do, then I am completely at a loss.  Anyone from Autodesk wish to address this?  What would prevent Inventor from writing Application Options to the registry?

Sam B

Message 10 of 12
brent_e_barbour

Yes, I click on permissions on anything on or below "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor " in my registry, "Allow" next to "Full Control is checked.  However, there's a lot of subfolders and content.  Is there anything more spacific I should look at?

Message 11 of 12
4donwan4

After speaking with Brent we applied the reset tool to which it seems to have solved the issue.

Inventor Reset Utility

Regards,

Don

Message 12 of 12
brent_e_barbour
in reply to: 4donwan4

Don,

Thank you for the tip on the Inventor Reset Utility!  You were extremely knowledgeable and helpful!

Thanks,

Brent

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report