Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default project purpose

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AdrianT
332 Views, 6 Replies

Default project purpose

Good Day,

I would like to ask what the purpose of the default project file is?

I personally never use it, as we create an Inventor project file per project at our company. We have about 15 licenses, and work on large projects with entire mines modelled which would involve many assemblies, and thousands of occurences. One of the projects (not an Inventor project, that is) has been badly handled and the lead draughtsperson claims they can only open the models by using Default. To me this is very dangerous as in the case of our conveyors we have identically named sub-assemblies of certain standard components which even though the main assemblies have specific file names associated with a given conveyor, the sub assemblies are usually not renamed as is standard practise and has never been an issue for me. 

Perhaps I know too little about using the Default project but in my experience it's dangerous to use because of the potential for cross referencing. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Adrian

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: AdrianT

I don't think you're wrong at all.  I never use the Default project for exactly the reasons you've given, plus you cannot modify it to specify library locations, Material & Appearance libraries, Content Center libraries, etc.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Adrian,

I don't think you are wrong either.  I look at the master project file as a benchmark to ultimately create the one you want and need.  I know we have are own and no one uses the default one.

mp.PNG

And according to the help file it can't be deleted on top of it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
swhite

The Default Project is for use straight out of the box with no need to understand the vaulting process so users may get up and running immediately without needing to learn how to set up a project etc. Your co-worker probably has to set it to default because that was probably where it was first placed. You can delete the vault enteries, change the vault location and recheck in the files to the new location, although with the number of files it sounds like you may have that could take awhile. Plus any libraries will need pointed to and it could quickly become a pain. Am sure someone on here might know a simpler way to redirect all the library files it might rely on.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7
AdrianT
in reply to: swhite

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do appreciate that!! 

I forgot to mention, we are currently not running Vault. I know, we should be... 

Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto

Only you can make that call.  You have to do what works best for your department.

I know we are using workgroup and looking into the pro version.  It is generaly working very well for us.

Good tool for managing revision control and structure for our files.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 7
SBix26

We're not using Vault, and not planning to.  We haven't seen enough benefit to justify the added administrative overhead.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report