Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Install Directories

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
132 Views, 4 Replies

Default Install Directories

I am in the process of upgrading to IV10 but will not deploy until my new workstations comes. My whole cad area is being replaced with new workstations (the lease is up) and the OS will change.

My question goes to the default install directories used by AIS between W2K and XP Pro. With IV the change will not be a problem because there are no exportable and command line loadable "profiles" like the AutoCAD based software's use (I really wish there was). With IV I just have the user change some settings in "Applications Options" the first time they run the new version. From then on it will follow them around the room. Like I said, sure would be nice to have an exportable profile (like the AutoCAD arg) that I can force load on them with a command line switch.

So I have finished making up new default profiles for running the AutoCAD based products that come with AIS. Of course these profiles are based on the default install directory under W2K which is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\MDT 2006\

Will this be the same directory and structure when installed under XP Pro?

I know this is not actually an IV issue but since this version of AutoCAD loads with AIS I though this would be the place to ask.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes.

--
Sam Hochberg
Inventor Certified Expert
Not too bad at AutoCAD either

wrote in message news:4857971@discussion.autodesk.com...
....C:\Program Files\Autodesk\MDT 2006\

Will this be the same directory and structure when installed under XP Pro?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Just be aware that some of the Common Files and Autodesk Shared files are now located underneath each individuals Documents and
Settings directory. These is a pain in the butt when a program is installed under the Administrator's settings, then when a User or
Power Users loads Acad it re-builds the MNU files every time. Acad also has problems finding some of its 'Support' files which are
hidden away under the Administrators Documents and Settings directory.

There again, maybe our IT git Wizard need shooting

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad
as what passes for ordinary living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs

wrote in message news:4857985@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thank you
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

No Duncan I have the same exact problem here. I am the only person in my plant that has Admin rights outside of IT so that I can handle all of our software issues and just depend on their group for hardware.

I can run every version of Autodesk product myself fine but I do have problems with my users and the MNU files being in the roaming profiles. I REALLY wish AutoDesk would give us a choice in install for this. Would be nice to push it back to being under the local support directory.

My main problem has not been running AIS but AutoCAD Electrical. Since it is a totally different SN it has it's own registry key AND mnu files in the roaming profiles. I only have three seats of it and only a few people use it. However, what I have found is that with the three machines that have Electrical on them it depends on the sequence of the menu build as to which one will run!!!!! If a user starts any of the AutoCAD base products that comes with AIS those menus will build and run fine. If a user starts the Electrical first it will build and run fine. So it appears to be the second product that is started per profile that has the issue!!! However, both products will build and run for me (Admin).

I have been pondering copying the menu files that my profile produces to the server and making a profile to look at them only. I do force load a profile on my users with the /p switch so this would just be altering that profile before they hit it for the first time. I would need to do that now as I upgrade so that it is the profile that each user gets. Once a user loads a profile using the /p switch it does not reload from that arg file unless they delete it from their profile list ( or alter the name). So would be nice to work this out a head of time.

Does anyone at AutoDesk have a comments on this issue???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report