Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

decal help please

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
safiredesignengineers
861 Views, 15 Replies

decal help please

Hi group

I want to put decals on my models, but if i try to put graphics on I can't see the graphic, just a window with the graphic name?

Also from what i can see only .bmp pictures can be used? I really want to put .gif files on with transparent backgrounds is this possible?

Regards

Adrian
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

here is a pic of what i am getting, i have tried various image formats they all appear in the preview screen but look like this on the model?

also when I open the first image i get a error message saying something like paint is not my default package etc.. if i hit yes it tells me that I don't have administrative rights ? what does this mean? if I hit no it goes on but I don't see my image, just the window as in the enclosed pic?

what am I doing wrong??

Regards

Adrian
Message 3 of 16

ooops! wrong button. Pic attached.
Message 4 of 16

What version of Inventor?
Image files must be associated with MS Paint. (search here)

>I really want to put .gif files on with transparent backgrounds

Doesn't have to be gif to achieve transparent. You can control the Properties of an imported image and the lower right pixel in image is used to control transparency.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 16

Hi Jd

Sorry inv 2010. I read that in the help file about transparency, that will be good when I get it working.

Regards

Adrian
Message 6 of 16

Also I get this error message (see pic) come up the first time I try to insert an image.

Regards

Adrian
Message 7 of 16

>I get this error message ....

I assume you click Yes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 16

Hi JD

I click yes, and then I get a message saying that i don't have administrative rights and it won't let me go any further until I click no, then the message doesn't come up again until i re start inventor, is this a bug?

Regards

Adrian
Message 9 of 16

this is the error window i get if i click the yest button

regards

Adrian
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: safiredesignengineers

if Inventor wont link your image to Paint then the easiest way I've found is
this:

find the bmp/image file in windows explorer
right click and 1/2 way down is "Open With" - select "choose program"
now select Paint and tick the "Always use" box
OK this and now Paint is associated with that image-type.

see image if it doesn't make sense.

Now restart Inventor and it should be ok...

If it still doesn't link then I'm guessing you've not got Admin rights (or
possibly only Power User is needed for this).

Hope that helps.

wrote in message
news:6237966@discussion.autodesk.com...
this is the error window i get if i click the yest button

regards

Adrian
Message 11 of 16

Hi Sam

I have done this, I rt clk on the file, select run as, select paint they little box "always use this" is ticked but grayed out so I can't change it.
I am logged in as an administrator ???

Help

Regards

Adrian
Message 12 of 16

Hooray I fixed it! it was in the registry, I had to manually change it as another program had hogged it!!!

Regards

Adrian
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Adrian,

I'm having the identical problem. Would you PLEASE tell us what the corrected Registry entry was that you made?

Sincerely,

Darral
Message 14 of 16

Hi Darral

Ok I did this:

from the run command
1) run the Regedit command (please note care is required in here and I can't be held responsible for any issues created if this goes wrong!!! and you really don't want to play with the registry settings unless you know exactly what you are doing)
2) open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder
3) open the .bmp folder ( I would advise you rt click on this folder and export a copy of it as a back up )
4) look at the (default) setting it should read paint.picture if not change it so it does
5) save and exit, you will need to restart inventor or possible reboot your machine, it should work, it did for me!

I think what happens is that you install other graphics software and that software hi-jacks the default setting and doesn't let you change it, you will see what the software is before you change it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Adrian
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Adrian,

You da man! I did this and it's working perfectly with one exception- I could pull in BMP's ok but not JPEG's or JPG's and I got NO error, just the empty box. So I scrolled to the .JPG folder and changed it and it worked the first time.

FWIW, I experimented with a Toshiba notebook I have sitting beside me that I've just installed Win 7 beta. That way, if I had crashed, no problem :). But it didnt and I'm off to the races. Thanks again pal.

Darral
Message 16 of 16

Hi Darral

no problem, once it works it is good, especially with the transparency.

Regards

Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report