Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cylinder stress analysis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
eugene.byrne
1020 Views, 2 Replies

cylinder stress analysis

Hi

as part of a college project im trying to analyse a stress analysis on a closed cylinder on inventor.

ive drawn the cylinder and done the stress analysis but the results are confusing me (allot) maybe its just my inexperience..

In an experiment i pressurised the cylinders till fail and they fractured at 610 bar. but in the analysis the max stress is turning out oto be  555 mpa. on the von misses stress.  this is way above what i expected  and wondered if anyone could advise me on what i might be doing wrong?

ive attached the cylinder in question..

Thank you Kindly

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: eugene.byrne

@eugene.byrne wrote:

In an experiment i pressurised the cylinders till fail and they fractured at 610 bar. but in the analysis the max stress is turning out oto be  555 mpa. on the von misses stress.  this is way above what i expected  ...

The yield strength for your material selection is 350MPa.  Yield strength is not the same as fracture point.

It doesn't sound like you are using FEA analysis correctly in relation to your expectations from the physical experiment test.

What textbook are you using?

The use of the FEA analysis is the linear portion of the stress/strain graph below yield strength, in the elastic area of the graph - not a measure of fracture point.  In other words, if the pressure is removed the part returns to it's original dimensions. (Safety Factor greater than or equal to 1.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: eugene.byrne

I nearly forgot to mention - the process of manufacturing that pressure vessel sends the material well into the plastic deformation portion of the curve.

Some other software might be more appropriate for this analysis.
I don't know enough about Autodesk Analysis (formerly Algor), but might be worth a check to see what pressure vessel analysis tools it has.

Students can download Autodesk Analysis for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report