Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cylinder piercing Cone constraint

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dexterdweller
1085 Views, 10 Replies

Cylinder piercing Cone constraint

I have a cone that I need to place a cylinder through. The cylinder will need to be 36" below the XZ plane and perpendicular to the side of the cone and 10° away from the Y axis. EASY right... I have an image of where I'm at. I have the 10° offset and that's it. But I have a sketch showing where I need the cylinder constrained too.

Please Help.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: dexterdweller

Attach your Inventor file(s) here.

(it is an easy problem to solve)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

Here are the files. I should have attached them to start with... I will end up with 8 of these cylinders in the cone. I have attempted to create a separate part file for each that will contain a sketch and a UCS. Rotate this part to the angle that is needed and constrain the cylinder to the planes on the inserted UCS. Only thing is doing this way I will have to insert one of these for each part... which I will do if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

@dexterdweller wrote:

... I will end up with 8 of these cylinders in the cone.  

I assume in a circular pattern?

I assume you will have some sort of Hole feature in the Cone part?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
dexterdweller
in reply to: JDMather

Yes there will be two layers of four evenly spaced and in circular pattern. Yes there will be a hole feature to.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@dexterdweller wrote:
Yes there will be two layers of four evenly spaced and in circular pattern.

Lost me with this?

Cone Pattern.PNG

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
dexterdweller

That looks great. The two layers I will have four at the 36" below the XZ and four at approximately 48" below the XZ plane in another circular pattern. The the upper and the lower patterns will be staggered. For example if the top set was at 45°, 135°, 225° & 315°. Then the lower set would be at 0°, 90°, 180° & 270°.
Message 8 of 11
JDMather

Do you realize that in a circular pattern your initial condition of 10° is meaningless extra work (you can rotate the entire assembly 10°)?

How far do you want the pipes penetrating into the cone and is the measure point from the outside surface or inside surface of the cone?

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
dexterdweller

The cone will drop into the main assembly and be grounded the way it is modeled. I did consider creating a separate sub-assembly of just the nozzles that could be dropped in and rotate just one constraint of the sub-assembly. But I guess this is not what you mean. I don't use patterns very often so I am obviously doing extra work by what you are saying.

I need 6" Outside projection (from the outside of the cone) and a minimum of 3/8" inside projection (from the inside of the cone).
Message 10 of 11
JDMather

See if you can follow what I did in this assembly.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
dexterdweller

That's it; you are the Master!!

I was way over complicating that... I was trying to do it the same way I would have in SolidWorks I guess... and that is not about to happen. 

In SolidWorks I would have slipped an additional part in there that was solely reference geometry. In this part have a sketch and attached UCS's to each point where I needed the pipes on the cone and drag and dropped them allowing them to automatically mate UCS/UCS. Each part with a sketch on it that can be used to do an assembly cut and do it on the assembly level. I seem to do this too often... Too many years of SolidWorks and not enough Inventor... 

Thank you for all of your help it is greatly appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report