Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting Part in Half

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4419 Views, 8 Replies

Cutting Part in Half

Is there any way in IV6 to cut an existing part in half, extend the cut half out longer, and then fill the gap back in?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say "fill the gap back in". Cut part in half and lengthen. What gap?

MechMan
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

You could extrude a cut that removes material and start a new sketch on one side of the
cut but I am having a hard time figuring out what you are really trying to do.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"slackmasterx" wrote in message
news:f13f836.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Is there any way in IV6 to cut an existing part in half, extend the cut half out longer,
and then fill the gap back in?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

We have a series of parts that are all variations on the same design; specically, they are all the same size width-wise, but they differ lengthwise. Is there any way we can use the original part model made for one of this series just by cutting out and lengthening the part? Or do we have to remake the part each time we need a different size?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Not sure what you mean exactly, but could you just
increase the extrusion the extra distance minus 1/2 of your origianl
extrusion?

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Is
there any way in IV6 to cut an existing part in half, extend the cut half out
longer, and then fill the gap back in?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

It sounds like you should be able to do it by just changing the value of a extrusion. If
that isn't the case maybe zip one up and post it so we can better understand.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"slackmasterx" wrote in message
news:f13f836.2@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> We have a series of parts that are all variations on the same design; specically, they
are all the same size width-wise, but they differ lengthwise. Is there any way we can use
the original part model made for one of this series just by cutting out and lengthening
the part? Or do we have to remake the part each time we need a different size?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

You're either wanting to look into iParts or Derived Components.

MechMan
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Can you cut the part in half, then do a sketch plane with a desired extrution length. Create a Work plane half way backof the extrusion ((Remember (d?/2) for plane)), then mirror off the plane. Wala new part. Now all you have to do is change the middle extrusion length. If this is what you are tring to do.

Mark Pirkle
Design Engineer
Blissfield Mfg. Co.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

If I understand you right. You want to lenghten and shorten a part. I creat all my parts that need this kind of design intent from the origin workplans and extrude midplan, then I creat all other features from these origin wp's also so when I lengthen the part all other features remain in place......if it is done right :)......Hope this helps......MikeG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report