Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting notch in edge.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1591 Views, 2 Replies

Cutting notch in edge.

Hi Guys,
I'm a total noob to this stuff. We got a 3d printer and I've been doing a lot of basic designs, right now Im having an issue with trying to figure out how to cut a notch (if that is even the correct wording) in the edge of a plate. I've searched google quite a bit but have not found an answer to my question.

Basically I want to do this;

Also could anyone recommend a good tutorial to put me on the fast track to basic design work?

Thank you!
JC

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mpatchus
in reply to: Anonymous

Define a work plane where you want the notch located.

Create a sketch (like either shown) to define the size of the notch.

Extrude or Revolve the sketch to achieve the desired notch.

Part is attached for review.

Edge Notch.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 3
gsmith9810
in reply to: Anonymous

The basic tutorials that ship with Inventor are a good way to get started. There are also a number of books (search Amazon). One approach that many use with success is to model the part the way you would machine the part: create your raw stock and then remove material in steps so you are left with your part. Of course, this doesn't always work...
-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report