Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting a rectangular opening in polyface mesh surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
samu3
1746 Views, 4 Replies

Cutting a rectangular opening in polyface mesh surface

Hi all,

I have a dwg file of a section of a tunnel that has been exported from Microstation as a polyface mesh surface. What I am trying to achieve is cutting a hole into the surface. I am assuming that I cannot cut a surface directly, but need to convert it to a solid first.

I've searched this site and I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. Inventor does not seem to be able to convert the surface to a solid. Also, when I import the surface to Inventor, some of the triangular meshes are not there, and there are too many "holes" to patch them manually. I've also tried using lisps in AutoCAD, but on the surface and 3D faces after exploding it, but for example m2s.lsp or f2s.lsp do not seem to work.

I have also had the same file exported from Microstation as ACIS .sat, but version 18.0 is not readable by Inventor. Is there a way to convert the ASCII file to an older version?

In other words, any suggestions on how to accomplish what I am trying to do?

I am using Inventor 2013, and I also have AutoCAD 2013 available.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Samu

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: samu3

There should be an Option within Microstation to save as v7 ACIS.

What other formats will Microstation export? STEP?

Can you attach the dwg file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: JDMather

Also, Autocad should be able to read the Microstation files directly. Not sure about solids / mesh in Microstation but worth checking if the V7 isn't available.

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 5
samu3

Thanks for both of your replies. JD you are right, Microstation is able to export as sat/ACIS v7.0 (and this is the newest version AutoCAD and Inventor will import), and I will try to get a file saved in that format. Meanwhile, here is the dwg I have been trying work with - if you have time to take a look at it, I would appreciate it! I just don't seem to be able to turn it into a solid, or cut a hole.

Samu

Message 5 of 5
Rtogores

Maybe my AU2012 class can be useful:

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=au_player#0%0:3202

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report