Active Contributor
leech10
Message 1 of 3 (651 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cut extrusion

651 Views, 2 Replies
12-08-2012 04:04 PM

Hi

I am doing tutorial of the engine but it is not for inventor. I want to do cut like in the attached picture. I made this rectangle figure but instead of cutting off those yellow parst as in the picture I am removing all the gray parts and those yellow are still visible. Please advise me what I should do to leave theis gray part of the crank and delete yellow sides

regards

Peter

JDMather wrote:

In SolidWorks that is a Cut Outside.

The same thing in Inventor is Extrude - Intersect.  (Looks like you would do Mid-plane Through all.

or

Split and set to split part removing outside.

Attach your dwg file here if you can't figure it out.

Based on the face that the sketch is on If you want to use Extrude you have to add the 2 outside arcs to the sketch, Then pick the two out side profiles and use Cut. If you want to use Intersect the sketch would have to on the back side of the part or you will lose the boss as well as the sides. But like JDMather wrote Split is the way to go, very simple.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 3 (647 Views)

Re: Cut extrusion

12-08-2012 04:18 PM in reply to: leech10

The same thing in Inventor is Extrude - Intersect.  (Looks like you would do Mid-plane Through all.

or

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
mikeweb74
Message 3 of 3 (634 Views)

Re: Cut extrusion

12-08-2012 06:18 PM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather wrote:

or

Based on the face that the sketch is on If you want to use Extrude you have to add the 2 outside arcs to the sketch, Then pick the two out side profiles and use Cut. If you want to use Intersect the sketch would have to on the back side of the part or you will lose the boss as well as the sides. But like JDMather wrote Split is the way to go, very simple.

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!