Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut extrusion

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
leech10
4906 Views, 6 Replies

Cut extrusion

Hi

I am doing tutorial of the engine but it is not for inventor. I want to do cut like in the attached picture. I made this rectangle figure but instead of cutting off those yellow parst as in the picture I am removing all the gray parts and those yellow are still visible. Please advise me what I should do to leave theis gray part of the crank and delete yellow sides

regards

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: leech10

In SolidWorks that is a Cut Outside.

The same thing in Inventor is Extrude - Intersect.  (Looks like you would do Mid-plane Through all.

or

Split and set to split part removing outside.

Attach your dwg file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mikeweb74
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

In SolidWorks that is a Cut Outside.

The same thing in Inventor is Extrude - Intersect.  (Looks like you would do Mid-plane Through all.

or

Split and set to split part removing outside.

Attach your dwg file here if you can't figure it out.

Based on the face that the sketch is on If you want to use Extrude you have to add the 2 outside arcs to the sketch, Then pick the two out side profiles and use Cut. If you want to use Intersect the sketch would have to on the back side of the part or you will lose the boss as well as the sides. But like JDMather wrote Split is the way to go, very simple.

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
Message 4 of 7

@JDMather I came from solidworks too, what is the way to do a cut outside in inventor? I think there isn't a way when you don't want a trough cut, for example you have a cylinder and on one side I would like to cut a "male" square 2 mm depth but I don't want to project the outside contour. In this case the intersect would only work if it was a trough cut

Sometimes the contour could be enormous and that function is very useful, also I'm experiencing difficulties when selecting regions.

Thanks

Manuel Campos Costa
Message 5 of 7

Attach file here if you can't figure it out.

(Actually, it would be best to start a new thread and link back to this one for reference.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

Hi Manuel,

I believe you are having profile detection difficulty. Inventor 2019 and earlier use "constraint-based" profile detection. When there is no coincident constraint, it is not considered a branch. The selectable profiles can be limited and the region definition can be confusing.The workaround is to add sketch point at where the line or curve intersect. In this way, the profile can be recognized.

On Inventor 2020, the profile detection has been enhanced and it is "geometry-based." You don't need to use above workaround to define regions. It should be recognized automatically.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Yes that's it! I have read that somewhere before, but I wasn't sure if I understood that right, know you made that clear to me.

I will try to add a new post for the other question when I have time.

Thanks the help!

Manuel Campos Costa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report