Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut & Paste Solids to Create Multi-Body Part

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Mike_Fox
6834 Views, 23 Replies

Cut & Paste Solids to Create Multi-Body Part

After migrating my project from MDT2009 to Inventor 2010, every solid body in MDT became a part file in INV.  If I were modeling from scratch, some of the .IPTs should be multibody parts.  Is there any way to cut & paste a solid from one part to another to create a multibody part?  I’m not talking about deriving a new part from the source parts.  The end result should be a multibody part with all sketches intact and all solids fully editable, as if I had modeled them as a multibody part right from the beginning.

I’ve attached a simple example of two separate parts that should be combined into one multibody part, as shown in the .JPG file.  Can it be done without deriving the parts?

Thanks - Mike

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

Then Sculpt (flood fill) to join as solid (might have to remove a common face).

Attach the two files here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 22 of 24
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

Unfortunately I can't attach the files (proprietary).

The Sculpt filled the work surface easily, but without having an option to create a new solid, so it won't move within the part- it is restricted to where it derived it, which also didn't have any positioning options.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 23 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

Check the SDK Position and Scale tool.

or

create an Assembly file and derive that as a solid combined.

If you have trouble coming up with a technique -- attach a couple of dummy files that can be used to demonstrate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 24 of 24
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

I ended up sticking with the files I had (single parts from derived assemblies).  The changes required were just performed on the existing component.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report