Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cut across bend?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chad38
446 Views, 3 Replies

cut across bend?

I'm trying to use the cut across bend feature on a sheetmetal part. However, when I check cut across bend, it grays out all of the other cutout options, and only has thickness as the only option. This is perplexing to me, because I can't think of too many times I'd need this option other than when there is more than one thickness of material I need to manipulate the profile onto.

I was to understand that this "cut across bend" is for use similar to the "normal cutout" command in solid edge? Keeps the cut perpendicular to the sheet face in a sheetmetal part.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: chad38

@chad38 wrote:

... I can't think of too many times I'd need this option other than when there is more than one thickness of material ..

Sheet metal is uniform thickness.  Can you post an example of where you suspect the Cut Across Bend might be useful as you envision?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
chad38
in reply to: JDMather

I saved this part back to about where I was. I came up with a work around for what I was doing, but saved this back so you could see what I was trying to do. The sketck that's visible is how I need the cutout profiled. Try and make the cutout.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 4
chad38
in reply to: chad38

Dear Autodesk,

We are a sheet metal fabricators. The way the flats look using just a regular cutout is unacceptable. Many of these are very simple parts. I shouldn't have to come up with a work around on these simple parts. If you aren't working on adding an equivalent to the "normal cutout" function from solid edge, you need to be. If this isn't remedied very soon, I will be compelled to convince my employer to drop this little suite of yours in favor of a software that understands how sheet metal needs to work. I've been enjoying my time relearning inventor. It's just that during that time, I've learned many of your limitations. Please fix ASAP.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report