Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
BillPIII
Message 11 of 16 (1,006 Views)

Re: Custom Threads?

01-29-2010 05:03 AM in reply to: shastu
You didn't seem to read it the first time and I put in bold the part you missed.
BillPIII
Message 12 of 16 (1,006 Views)

01-29-2010 05:31 AM in reply to: shastu
That's all fine and dandy until you want to make an impact on a customer without showing them a real part first. I think I can decide the relative value of modeling the threads for myself. Obviously I sometimes feel a need to draw them in or else I wouldn't have posted. Some of the replies remind me of the time I wanted a CNC company to demonstrate both absolute and incremental on the same screen and when they couldn't figure out how they instead tried to convince me I didn't need to do it. Even while they were looking at our 15 year old machine that had no problems doing it. Or when I once tried to order a computer from Dell and I asked for a full tower. When the guy didn't have that option he instead tried to tell me I didn't need one. An option to show at least a simple v thread doesn't seem like much of a burden unless you are targeting the Wal-mart laptop CAD market. Plus I know for a fact I'm not the only person asking for it so let's not pretend there isn't a desire to have it. Just make it a feature based toggle. Key features where you want visual impact can have 3D threads turned on while you can slap 2D decals on everything else. It's 2010, not the days of AME and the 386. Edited by: BillPirschel7709 on Jan 29, 2010 1:36 PM
BillPIII
Message 13 of 16 (1,006 Views)

01-29-2010 05:34 AM in reply to: shastu
Thanks, I'll try those. I tried to turn mine into an Ifeature but couldn't seem to have it aquire the diameter from the part.
Contributor
gordow
Message 14 of 16 (1,006 Views)

01-29-2010 06:57 AM in reply to: shastu
We do custom threads for mounts for custom optics in instrumentation. The size of an optic is determined by the size of the light beam at the particular point of the optic, so the mounts can be any size and are often limited by space.

This is how I handle custom threads. I have built a spreadsheet that uses the formulas in ASME B1.1 (Unified Inch Screw Threads) to calculate the appropriate values. Input is the nominal diameter, pitch, class of thread, any extra allowance, length of engagement, and any coating thickness that may apply. The output is max and min diameters for major, minor, and pitch diameters in the format of the Threads.xls spreadsheet. I copy the line into a sheet of special threads in the Threads.xls spreadsheet as suggested in other responses to this thread. The diameter of the cylinder that I apply the thread should fall within the max/min of the major diameter of the thread. We have recently acquired a lathe that can turn metric threads, so I will be doing a spreadsheet for ASME B1.13M also. As a bonus, I have a section of the spreadsheet that formats the thread information so I can copy and paste it to the notes section of the drawing.

My complaint in this process is that to get Inventor to read the modified spreadsheet, one has to restart Inventor after a new thread is added. This is second only to the memory leak problem in my book.
Mentor
MikahB
Message 15 of 16 (1,006 Views)

01-30-2010 11:26 AM in reply to: shastu
FWIW - I also have created a workaround so that I can put real threads in when I need them. If I have lots of small threaded holes in a part, of course cosmetic threads are fine. But, for those of us who design parts where the thread itself is an important feature of the part, cosmetic threads are useless: they don't show up in renders or in drawings.

I have an iPart that I use that can be internal or external, trapezoidal or ISO threadform and it works fine. Sure would be nice to just have the option on the threading tool whether to make it real or Memorex though.
Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
BillPIII
Message 16 of 16 (1,006 Views)

01-31-2010 11:12 AM in reply to: shastu
I took a similar approach. I got my ifeature to work after looking at CBiss's ifeature. His relies on a table while I just tell it the diameter pitch and length. But mine is just a sharp V with no radius so it gets the point across without taking up more resources than needed. CBiss's is more acurate as it includes the radius. I started but have not had a chance to finish the internal version. But they should match up using the angle constraint. My first attempt still seems to need an extra geometry selection than I think should be needed. I guess we can at least be thankful that Inventor has the tools to work around it's own limitations.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.