Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom table for frame generator

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
doum90
370 Views, 6 Replies

Custom table for frame generator

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to suppress size in a custom table for frame members. So far, I've copied the ANSI hss square tube library to another name and it is not linked to the previous family. What I need to do is make only certain size of these tubes available and the only way I found was to delete them. The things is I don't want to delete them because I may need them in the future. Also,  when I have different materials in that table they appear as 2 diferent size in the frame generator insertion window. For example, if I have in my table a 2x2x1/8 tubing 1 in aluminum and the other in steel, I will have 2x2x1/8 X2 in the size selection window.

I really need your help please.

Dominique

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: doum90

I cannot think of any way to "hide" sizes in your chart, short of making different tables.  However, as far as the material goes, you can select the material inside frame generator if you want, so you would not really need more than one in your family table.  I believe FG will override the table material with whatever you choose when placing the member.

Message 3 of 7
doum90
in reply to: cbenner

It's kinda sad since I want to give my frame members stock number from their size and material...

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

I would probably create a separate table for each different material then.  it's not that hard to do, just use save copy as in the CC editor, and then modify the material and stock number columns, as well as anyothers you need to change.

Message 5 of 7
doum90

Would there be a way to read the info in the bom and compare it with an excel spreadsheet and make inventor change the stocknumber to the corresponding row of my excel spread sheet? I'm looking through ilogic but I'm not that good yet...

Message 6 of 7
cbenner

Not sure if this is what you meant, but Content Center family tables can be edited using Excel.  There is a button on the tool bar (I think on the left).  What I often do is cut and paste from one spreadsheet into my family table.  This does require you to open 2 separate instances of Excel (not just two spreadsheets in one instance, but actually open Excel twice).

Avoid editing any family table column that is blue, that means that is gets it's values from one or more other columns.  If a "blue" column is the one you need to edit, right click the column header and select column properties to see what variables that column is pulling from, and edit THOSE columns... the changed values will automatically be reflected in the blue column once you save and close Excel, and return to Inventor.  It's somewhat complex, but that gives you a lot of flexibility.  Trial and error on a test family is a good way to go.... play around with things until you get the hang of it.  I'd say that 2/3 or more of our Content Center is customized tables, and I learned it just from playing around on test tables (so I wouldn't screw up anything good).

Good luck.

Message 7 of 7
brendan.henderson

Highlight the row, right click on the Row Status cell, select SUPPRESS. The member is excluded from your selection when adding the family to an assembly, and can be retreived later (unsuppress) if you need it.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums