Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom sheet properties (not drawing)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
DRoam
5471 Views, 16 Replies

Custom sheet properties (not drawing)

As far as I know, the only property I can actually define for each individual sheet (for use in iLogic, text fields, etc.) is the sheet name. This is extremely limiting. Each sheet in my drawings has several properties of its own--sheet number (most importantly), what part is ON the sheet, the designer, the revision, etc. I would love to be able to use each of these in labels on the sheet, for example, a text box with "<Sheet #> - <Part> (<Designer>)". The only possible way I could do something like this is to use the sheet number as the Sheet Name, and then use that value in the sheet's text labels, headings, and title block. However, I want to be able to use descriptive names for the Sheet Name, plus that's just one property.

Is there any way I can create and define multiple custom properties for individual sheets? I was exploring the idea of using iLogic, using the ActiveSheet command, possibly, and "tricking" inventor into creating properties for a given sheet. I don't know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cbenner
in reply to: DRoam

If I understand correctly... are you aware that in your titleblock, you can assign model properties as well as drawing file properties to each field?  For example, you can have one field pull from the drawing's iproperties, and another pull from the model's iproperties.    That way certain values would be the same throughout a drawing series (pulled from the drawing properties), and others could be unique to each individual sheet (pulled from the part or assembly).

Message 3 of 17
mrattray

You can add additional property sets besides "Custom" to the drawing file using the API. You can then reference these in your title block like you would any other property. However, they are not accessible via the iProperties editor in the UI and would require a unique title block for each sheet.
I don't know if you can add a property set directly to a sheet or not. This would require some experimentation.
You could also create custom attributes, but these would be harder to work with as they are completely hidden from everything except the API.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 17
mrattray
in reply to: mrattray

After re-reading your post, I think Chris is more on track with what you need. Also note, that sheet number is an available property.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 17
DRoam
in reply to: cbenner

I hadn't thought of that... I would still rather a sheet have its own embedded properties, but that might work as a work-around. Question: how would I set that up in a drawing template since I don't yet have any views in the drawing? Once I start placing views, say of multiple parts for assemblies, how would Inventor know which part/assembly's properties to use?

If you'd like, please feel free to reference the template I'm working on (attached). I'd like to let the "<Sheet #>" value in the upper-left of my border be a custom, sheet-specific property.

Message 6 of 17
mrattray

The model properties are always pulled from the first view placed onto the sheet. If that view gets deleted it goes to the next oldest.
In order to populate your template, you need to first place a view of some part with the needed properties in it. After your done setting up your title block, you can then delete that view and save your template.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 17
DRoam

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. By the way, I should have specified, by sheet number I don't mean "1/11" or something like that. Our sheet numbers are something like 12345-10-01-02, where 12345 is the job number and the rest of the numbers have to do with where the component is in the assembly. So that "sheet number" is not an available property, unfortunately.

Message 8 of 17
DRoam

I'm going to experiment with your ideas. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm frustrated though that this isn't an option; it seems like this is something that many companies would need, since all sheets in a drawing set pretty much never share ALL the same properties. I'm posting a request for this in the IdeaStation, please do give it kudos and comment if you agree that this would be useful. Thanks!

IdeaStation post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Add-custom-properties-for-sheets-not-entire-drawi...

Message 9 of 17
mrattray

Oh, I see. I was thinking sheet numbers like 2 of 3.
You should be able to "assemble" that information between the drawing and model properties. I don't know what your file structure is like, but I imagine that most of those numbers are unique to the component. You could use something like: "<jobNumber>-<partNumber>" to define the sheet number.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 17
NachitoMax

Hi

I'm nearly finished a new tool that iterates through the sheets and places the sheet number into the BOM and ads it to a parts list. With the parts list, you can then see what part is on what sheet

Release date imminent

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 11 of 17
Robbrand89
in reply to: NachitoMax

Hi Nigel,

Did you already figured it out how to get the sheet specific properties in your sheet? I am struggling with the same kind of issue.

Robbert

Message 12 of 17
ThomasSwanson

Same here.   Individual sheet problems would make my life so much easier.  On title block to rule them all has it drawbacks sometimes.

Message 13 of 17
tyralWHQVV

Honestly, The easiest is prompted entry. When you start a new sheet it asks for an input. Perfect for naming each sheet something different.

Just add prompted entry into your textbox like you would a property. While it's highlighted type in what you want it called and Boom Sheet title.

Message 14 of 17
NachitoMax
in reply to: Robbrand89

what sheet specific properties are you looking for? As already sugested here, you can set up your titleblock to display model properties as well as drawing properties. For example:

filling in Drawing iProperties and adding them to your titleblock will show the same info on all sheets

selecting your model properties instead in your titleblock setup will display the iProperties for the part / assembly

The tool i was referring to wasnt dealing with properties, it was taking a sheet number, drawing no and placing it in the parts list for referral to other drawing packs.

Individual sheets only have Sheet Numbers & Scale as properties as far as i know. You might be able to add attributes (like invisible tags) but im nit 100% if this applies to individual sheets

Sorry i cant be of more help

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 15 of 17
khosey

Nigel,

Did you ever get that tool developed and debugged?  That would be a great feature to have.  I have used the macro developed by Brian Ekins here (http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/09/balloon-reporting-macro.html but it dumps the data to a text file, from which you can import into a spreadsheet.  It works well for spotting the sheet and zone of balloons, but still requires manual input (possible errors) to put the data into the parts list.  The method you have described sounds like a better route.

Thanks,

Ken

Message 16 of 17
NachitoMax
in reply to: khosey

Hi Ken

yes i have had the tool working for a while now albeit in VBA not as an addin. I do intend to make it into an addin but i just havent had the time yet. I can keep you updated.

The tool works really well though 🙂

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
khosey

Thanks Nigel.  I'm looking forward to trying the tool when you get it finished.

Ken

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report