Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Open From CC Broke

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
cadman777
1175 Views, 27 Replies

Custom Open From CC Broke

Has anybody had this happen to them, and do they know the cause and how to fix it?

I've been 'working' the software for the past 2 weeks making custom CC parts (some Authored to work in FG and others not).

All of a sudden, when I tried "Open From CC" > "As Custom", this error pops-up "Unable to Create Component".

I've had that before when the part wasn't made right, so I spent the past 6 hours trying to trouble shoot the problem.

Finally I downloaded a known good part from CBliss's iParts, and authored it exactly as Dennis Jeffrey's "Publishing Structural Components to CC" white paper lays-out. SAME ERROR.

At this point, I'm beginning to believe this installation of Inventor is CORRUPT, and the cause of it was 'pushing' the software to make all these custom parts. This is what leads me to believe that the program installation is corrupt: I had rebooted and cleaned-out all the system temp folder files, and did everything from a clean boot/open Inventor. Then I used CBliss iPart, and the Author/Publish failed in the same way. Also, I can create this same part in the FG, AND place an instance of the part into an assembly using RMB>"Place from CC", AND create an instance of it using "Open From CC" > "As Standard", WITH NO ERRORS. So, the problem is, the damned program won't allow me to create the part "As Custom". Also, for the past few days, the program has repeatedly locked-up after numerous uses of Excel to edit the iPart Table, which forces me to close the program, clear the system temp folder of all files, and restart the program to resume my work. Sometimes the program forces me to reboot the computer in order to clear the temp folder of all files to ensure there's no lingering data tied into the program. This reminds me of my Autocad days when I wrote AutoLISP progams for Autocad using Visual Lisp Editor. My guess is the data-link between Inventor and Excel has caused a corruption. If that is the case, I would like to know the truth, and if it is true, then I want to know if the developers have fixed this problem in release 2015.

Something in the program is broken, and I don't know how to fix it. If someone out there knows what it is, or has had the same experience, I would appreciate help in fixing this. Thanx.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
blair
in reply to: cadman777

If it was working before and now has stopped working, good chance that something on your system has changed. Since your tag lists IV2010, there hasn't been any SP's or updates published by ADSK for this software for almost 2 years. I would look at any updates that Microsoft has published and that's been installed on your system over the last couple of weeks. You may need to un-install these updates/patches to return Inventor to it's functionality.

For Inventor to suddenly become corrupt without any SP's or Updates from ADSK points to something else that's changed on your system.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 28
cadman777
in reply to: blair

Thanx Blair.

System is isolated from all networks, so no MS updates occur.
System is as-installed originally, w/all service packs.

I'm doing a re-install of Inventor, and if that fails, then will wipe the hard drive and start from scratch w/the OS++++.

12 hours of re-installing is better than 2 days of fruitless troubleshooting.

Cheers

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 28
cadman777

Well, I reinstalled Inventor, and the problem persists.

If it's in the OS, then I have no idea how to trouble-shoot it, b/c I have no idea how the program interfaces w/the OS.

The problem is, I haven't changed anything at all on this computer system, so would not have a clue where to begin.

Anybody ever experience something like this before? Any ideas what causes it?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 5 of 28
blair

You have all the SP's for your product.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-inventor-2010-service-pa...

Make sure that when you install, you are logged in as Administrator and have the UAC slider set to it's lowest position (in the User Accounts in the Control Panel).

Check on your .NET you may need to un-install this and re-install as I've seen this give Inventor fits.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 28
blair

Check in the Control Panel>Programs and Features, then upper LH corner for Installed Updates, sort by date to see if anything was updated.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 28
cadman777

Thanx. Checked it, even though it's not an issue, b/c I'm not on any network, and didn't install any updates or new programs since the original install. Anyways, nothing new shows up.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 28
cadman777

Thanx. Yeah, that's the first thing I did before installing. I always have all those bases covered. During the install, I checked "Service Packs" and added them consecutively to the list. The install did it for me.

Yes to admin, that's SOP.

What's the UAC slider?

How do I check .NET?

Thanx

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 9 of 28
blair

Here is the UAC, in the Control Panel>User Accounts:

Capture1.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 28
blair

for .NET, it can be easly downloaded from the Microsoft web site. Just remove/un-install the version on your system and install the new version.

Capture2.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 28
cadman777

Thanx Blair, I'll do this tomorrow. I'm about shot for the day today. Cheers

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 12 of 28
cadman777

Is the .NET framework on any of the Inventor install disks?
I'm afraid to install any but the exactly correct /MS software, since it tends to corrupt things due to the constant churning of updates. They have to match what I have. Maybe I can find the correct .NET version in my archives ... hopefully. This version shows the original install date, so it didn't get a fresh install.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 13 of 28
blair

No, you will have to download it from the Microsoft website.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 28
cadman777

I found it.

Read-up on it.

MS says not to uninstall prevoius versions do to other program use of earlier versions.

If I uninstall it, I wonder if it'll ruin other applications?

What's your experience on that?
Also, if I install over the existing installation, do you know if it updates the existing versions?

Otherwise, I would install 2.0 thru 4.0 if I did it from scratch, b/c those are the ones on my system.

This is what makes CAD management a full time job.

CAD management, for me, is a money-loss, time eater, b/c I design and make fabrication drgs.

Anyways, thanx for helping.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 15 of 28
blair

All I have on my system is the current version. You are on IV2010, I might just have the .NET 4.0 version on my system and see if that works for CC. If not then delete the older version and run with the current .NET 4.5

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 28
cadman777

Thanx. Will try it. Having problems so something is amiss w/this system.
It happened all of a sudden.

Can't be a virus, b/c of the firewall.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 17 of 28
blair

Try using the Administrator account on the machine, could be a bad user profile. I would check for any updates as they would show up in the "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. Then select the "Installed Updates" in the upper LH corner. Then do a sort by date.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 28
cadman777

I did a lot of reading and followed some of the troubleshooting and remedies on the MS web site. None of the remedies found any errors. So, I began disabling the various .NET versions to see what they were connected to (b/c I didn't know how else to figure that out before trashnig my system by uninstalling them all). Turns-out they're all necessary for various apps and hardware on my system. So, I uninstalled .NET 4 and reinstalled it. Couldn't install 4.5.0 b/c it doesn't exist on the web as a 'standalone installer'. But, I installed .Net 4.5.1 & 4.5.2, but to no effect. So basically, something's wrong presumably in the connection between the Inventor & Explorer, but I have no way of troubleshooting it UNLESS AUTODESK ENTERS THIS DISCUSSION AND OFFERS SOME USEFUL ASSISTANCE. After all, they're the ones w/the inside information that we don't have access to in order to solve these problems.

Thanx for all your help in narrowing down this issue!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 19 of 28
blair

For this to be working and then quit working is strange if nothing "happened" to your system. No Updates from Microsoft which get pushed out the second Tuesday of each month (sometimes sooner for a "rush" patch), ADSK doesn't push updates to Inventor, so must be manually downloaded and installed.

I'm at a loss, for something to work and then stop working without any outside action, short of a hard-drive failing.

Last resort would be to try a different User Account.

You will be able to tell if any Updates have taken place on your system from the Windows Control Panel, under the Programs and Features, then in the upper LH corner look for the Updates and select it. Sort them by date.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 28
cadman777

Blair,

It's impossible for updates to occur, since this computer is not on the internet.

It's not on any network.

It's totally isolated.

It could be failing hardware, but if it is, the tests aren't showing it.

I'm at a loss.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report