Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom notching in frame generator

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
schnautza
1406 Views, 11 Replies

Custom notching in frame generator

Yes, I've searched the forum and ran across this link with some instructions, but still couldn't figure out what I want to do.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/frame-generator-notch/m-p/2193144/highlight/true#M28...

I have a large frame (beams and columns) made up of W shape structural steel. (10x19 and 10x26 mostly)

I need to create notches with some more clearance between the beams. Apparently you can create custom notch profiles, but I can't figure out how to do this with these members (normal content center beams) - everything I am finding is showing people creating custom beams from scratch.

Could somebody walk me through this? Ideally, I can create one notch profile and apply it to all the beams - because I don't want to create 150 different profiles. So is it possible to add a notch profile to existing content center members?

Here is my frame - there will be lots of notching at the beam intersections.

Untitled.png

Here is an intersection - I would like at least 1/8" clear between the edges of the intersecting members.

Untitled.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: schnautza
Message 3 of 12
schnautza
in reply to: cbenner

Update - I didn't find a way to do this using the existing content center components - so I figured out how to make an iPart from scratch that can be sized to any W-shape beam, with a 1/4" clearance all the way around for the notch. Not really the route I wanted to take, but it's done now. It was a bit tedious manually typing in all the information for beam sizing parameters from W4's to W36's.

Now I have a new family in my content center - W shape with notch.

I'll probably do the same for channels down the road here. 

Message 4 of 12
cbenner

Question:  do you use Trim/Extend before you do a notch?  Because trim/extend allows you to specify a spacing.  You could use trim first, put in your spacing, and then do athe notch.  Might save you all the custom iparts?

Message 5 of 12
schnautza

I hadn't tried that because I think it wouldn't work - when you trim, it trims to a face. Problem with I beams is that you have the flanges sticking out - if you trim to the web, it is fine there, but the notch will still leave the flanges touching each other, which is not ok.

Message 6 of 12
cbenner

Yeah... just tried it.  This is something that should be in the Idea Station I think, if it isn't already.  That should be an option without having to jump through hoops.

Message 7 of 12
schnautza

I'm gonna put it there now, since nobody else is offering any input.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Message 8 of 12
cadman777

I realize this is a decade later, but ...

Can someone explain this any more clearly?
Did he put the cope on the abutting beam or the main run beam?
If the former, did he create a part for every beam size?

Not sure what he did.

Thanx ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cadman777

Hi! The original post was dated 2013. It is a stretch to say it was a decade ago. I am not trying to say it is not long enough but let's stick to facts. It is true that some workflows in Inventor have not been further developed since they were introduced. Frame Generator can be considered one of them. Inventor is looking into these areas including Frame Generator workflows.

If I understood the request correctly, you are looking for a way to create an offset from the notch, right? If yes, this is indeed being worked on. If you are interested, please feel free to sign up Inventor Beta to get more information. Based on your signature, you are still on 2010, which is 9 years old now and is no longer supported. The new work will be in future releases, not ported back to old releases like 2010.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
cadman777
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Thanx for your input.

7 years, 10 years, what does it matter?
It's not "timely", which is all that matters.

No, that little 'trinket' (= offset copes) that everybody wants isn't even the beginning of what I need in the FG. Soooooo .... no point in 'wasting my breath' begging the investors to give me something that won't gain them any "gains, profits and income".

Meanwhile, I'm back to figuring out how to use Inventor 2010 to do what I need, even if my work-flow is "an abortion"!

Cheers ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 11 of 12
fargherrob2JNRZ

Has there been any progress on this from the AutoDesk Inventor team?  I too need to add larger coping space for welding the intersecting beams together.  Seems like a no-brainer that should be incorporated into the frame generator

Message 12 of 12

Hi! We are indeed working on a solution to allow you to create custom notching. The solution will not be available on current and older releases.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report