I have gone thru what appears to be the correct steps in creating a custom material library a total of 3 times.
Once I finish customizing the library while in Inventor, I add it to my project file and make it the "active" library. I test it with each of my part & assembly templates on my local machine without an issue. When I log into another work station, locate and add the new library to their project file Inventor gives me a "no materials found". So I go back to my machine to check and the library is no longer valid for me either.
I can see the library on the server, the file size is 3.6MB so it has substance. I cannot figure out what I am doing that is causing the library from locking up completely when I try to use it with another work station. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a way to make my library usable again that would save me about 8 hours of work.
FYI.... all of our stations use the "generic.ipj" project file.
Thanks in advance.
Have you installed all the latest updates?
Service Pack 1.1 for Inventor 2013
Update 2 for Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1
Can you clarify what you mean by generic.ipj? Do you mean the default.ipj? The default ipj is not intended to be used for design work. If you are using the default project file, you should consider creating a new custom project file prior to adding custom mat/app libraries.
If you mean single user project file (not a vaulted project file), you may want to verify that each user has adequate permissions (read/write) access to directories that the project file and adsklib mat/app library are stored in.
Hope this helps...
Thanks for the response. I am at SP1.1 Update 2.
Each work station is using the default.ipj project and has been since we started using Inventor. I created a custom library on our server in December and added the library to each default.ipj and everyone could access the new library without any issues for 2 months.
A week ago I had to add a new material so I created a new library, popluated it with all the existing custom materials from my previous library and added the new material. Again, I added this new library to the default.ipj project but now the library immediately becomes corrupted and invalid as soon as anyone tries to access it.
The old library from December is still good. You can see on the attached PNG that now my favorites library has become invalid somehow.
A couple of thoughts on this subject, maybe one will hit the target... or get us closer to it...
InoticedthescreenshoterrormessageisinregardstotheFavoriteslibrary. Favoritesisalibrarythatisuniquetoeachuseroneachmachine. Thesearenotintendedtobemovedbetweenusers. Thebestthingtodois (withInventorclosed) torenametheFavoriteMaterials.adsklibfileto FavoriteMaterials.adsklib.BAK and then restart Inventor. The favorites library should be recreated during the start up process.
The 'No Materials Found' issue can occur when the library in memory is not being unloaded properly. Sometimes restarting Inventor will resolve this issue. When adding new adsklib files to the project, it is a good idea to exit and restarting Inventor prior to trying to 'use' the library or add another one. If you are storing the custom adsklib files on a network location use the following procedure to add them to each individual's project file.
1. Make sure that users have full privileges to the network location you are planning on storing the library.
2. Copy the adsklib and paste to this network location with any instance of Inventor closed.
Some notes on adsklib files: Do not rename the adsklib file in window's explorer as there are internal references that are sensitive to the file name and what is loaded in memory. It is best to use the option in the user interface to create empty libraries and move data to the library via the Mat/App browser interface.
3. Add an adsklib file to the project one at a time, closing and restarting Inventor after each add. This will help with any memory unloading issue...
You may consider having the user's share a project file stored on a network location. This would prevent you from having to add the libraries to each user's project individually.
Remember to keep a back up of your adkslib files!
Hope this information is helpful.
Thanks Nathan for the info.
Based on all of the advice I received, most importantly adding the library to the Appearance list first & also to restart Inventor each and every time I do anything to the Project file... I was finally able to create a usable library on the server that all of my work stations can access.
Thanks for everyones input.
Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.