Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom iproperty reverts back to original value after file is saved

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
bob.wiley
1111 Views, 3 Replies

Custom iproperty reverts back to original value after file is saved

In the attached file there are two custom iProperties that cannot be perminantly updated nor deleted. The iProperties are "size" and "purch_qty". These iProperties were created and set using a custom macro but they are of course accessable via the standard iProperties dialog. I can change the values for these particular iProperties but as soon as I save the file they revert back to their original values. Same goes for trying to delete them. All other iProperties, custom and otherwise, seem to behave normally.

The sketch in this file originated with a 2D DXF file for a vendor supplied aluminum extrusion quite a few years back. The original file has been copied (save-as...) to about 20 different files over the years. The iProperties in question were added years after most of the files were created, Each file is exibiting the same problem. These files are used in a LOT of assemblies. The thought of recreating all these files from scratch and updating the assemblies is not very inviting.

No other IPT files seem to be having this issue.

Bob Wiley

Inventor 2012 SP-1
Acad 2012 SP-1
Vault 2012 Update 1 Hotfix DL18480860
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP-1
Quad core Xeon 2.26GHz 12 GB
Quadro 4000, 7936 Mb, driver 8.17.12.6570 (265.70), Dual Monitors
SpacePilot Pro, driver 3.3.107.0
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cwhetten
in reply to: bob.wiley

Parameters.png

These "custom iProperties" are actually user parameters that are controlled by a formula.  See them in your parameters editor (Manage tab > Parameters panel > Parameters).  The reason they show up in the list of custom iProperties is because they have been exported (in the image above, the two checked boxes).

So, whenever you save, the part is refreshed and the formulas overwrite any manual changes you made in the iProperties.

Message 3 of 4
nmunro
in reply to: bob.wiley

Those two properties are generated from user parameters of the same name (exported). You can either change the user parameters (neither are referenced in an equation), or uncheck the exported checkbox in the Parameters dialog and manually recreate the properties.

https://c3mcad.com

Message 4 of 4
bob.wiley
in reply to: cwhetten

Spoiler

Boy do I feel dumb. And I'm the one that set that up.

Thanks!

Bob Wiley

Inventor 2012 SP-1
Acad 2012 SP-1
Vault 2012 Update 1 Hotfix DL18480860
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP-1
Quad core Xeon 2.26GHz 12 GB
Quadro 4000, 7936 Mb, driver 8.17.12.6570 (265.70), Dual Monitors
SpacePilot Pro, driver 3.3.107.0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report