Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom contents centre structural part variable length parameter

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
craig.clayton
3237 Views, 8 Replies

Custom contents centre structural part variable length parameter

Hello,

I want to make a part and publish it to my contents centre with a variable length (highlighted in red on the image), just like the box section in Inventor's existing library. How would I go about setting this up?

Thanks in advance, Craig

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: craig.clayton

Create your ipart with all of the sizes you need, and leave the length at .001" (or mm).  Author and Publish the part to the Content Center.  Then edit the Family Table.  Find the Length column, right click the Header and select Column Properties.  Set this as a Custom Column and set the minimum and maximum length as shown below.  Abviously use your own values, mine are in inches.  Generally your maximum is determined by the longest length you can purchase that profile in.

length.PNG

Message 3 of 9
nbroughton
in reply to: cbenner

I have the below setting for a custom content center part. When placing this part it asks for a length properly but the part will only come in at 36 inches. Changing size as well as replace from content center will not update the part. I should add that placing the part as a custom part will result in the desired length.

We have multiple custom parts in the CC a select few of them behave in a similar manner to what I've described above and the remaining custom parts (which is a majority) we have in the CC all work as they should. I've inserted images of both working and not working parts from our content center.

Any help is appreciated.

CC Custom Length Colum Properties - Not Working.jpgCC Custom Length Colum Properties - Working.jpg

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: nbroughton

Hi! I suspect the part family was not published correctly. Do you have the source part you used to publish as a family? Or, please attach the CC ipt file whose custom parameters are not working.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
nbroughton
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I believe this is the part that was published.

Sorry for the late response.

Message 6 of 9
jan_priban1

Hi Craig,

your file seems to be fine. I published it and placed 3 instances length = 1,2,3 in. In CC Editor define range. As you mention, MIN or MAX value can be constant value or variable/parameter as well. In range definition use operator "<="

Regards

Jan Priban

CustomColumn1.jpgInstances1.jpg

Message 7 of 9
nbroughton
in reply to: jan_priban1

I published the part again to make sure it was published correctly. I noticed after a placing a few different instances that you can change the length of the segments as long as it's the first time placing one of the four different selections. After a length for a specific selection has been placed you can no longer place a different length or change the length of a current instance. Each of the parts placed below were placed with different requested lengths.

When I try to change the "≤∞" to just "≤" it seems to work when I click ok but when I re-open the properties window it returns to "≤∞" automatically.

Unistrut Test 2 - LNG Column Properties.jpgUnistrut Length Test 2.jpg

Message 8 of 9
jan_priban1

Hello,

does your profile family use unique filename (=no two member use same filename string)

Regards

Jan Priban

Message 9 of 9
nbroughton
in reply to: jan_priban1

Nope, I updated the filename to include the length. It's working as it should now.

Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report