Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Content Center and Frame Generator

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3019 Views, 11 Replies

Custom Content Center and Frame Generator

We have invested much time in creating custom content center family tables based on exisiting  ANSI tables, etc. so that we can suppress sizes and shapes we do not use and have the descriptions and stock numbers show up both so BOM and parts lists will roll up identical parts and as our purchasing department requires.

We have just discovered, however belatedly, that while these custom tables function just fine when placing an individual part, frame generator apparently does not see these and gets it's info from somewhere else. I have seen a similar post which references an McadForums post, but the link provided is dead.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Frame-Generator-Customize-INV-11/m-p/1...

Has anyone found out how to point frame generator to customized CC familes?

Thank you,

Mike

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Content Center shapes must be published as structural components.

I just ran a test on 2011 and it works fine.  Here's what I did:

1. Copy the structural component family to Custom Library. Unlink the family.

2. Copy the Custom Library Family to a NEW name.

3. Delete the family in step 1

4. Edit the new named Family Table as needed.

Exit the Editor.

The NEW name library will show up in the Frame Genrator list.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Dennis-

Thanks for speedy reply. However, I am confused by your reference to "Content Center shapes must be published as Structural components"

Isn't this a completely separate operation, not mentioned in your steps? I tried compying the custom family I already had  w/ CC Editor using the Save Copy As command (it wouldn't let met use "Save Copy To") as an independent family, with no link, and then I deleted the family from which I made the copy. This still did not work, What am I missing here?

Thanks again,

Mike

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

You need to create a new library first.

1) Open the Project editor, and click on the button (Configure Libraries) in the lower right hand corner. Create a new read/write library.

2) Go to the CC editor and copy the family to the new library. Since you have a read/write library available, Copy To will show a list of the available libraries.

3) Change the Library View to only show your new library.

4) Select the family and break the link.

5) Edit the Family Table so it meets your needs.

6) Edit the Family Properties and change the Family Name and the Family Folder Name.

7) Frame Generator will now show your custom family in the list.

If you follow this process for all the families that you use, you can deselect the standard libraries in the project so only your content is available.

Message 5 of 12
pauldoubet

Frame Generator does indeed use the custom CC parts you created if you are using Inventor 2009 or later. I don't recall prior to that release but it seems that there was an early release that did not use the CC parts.

I believe the problem you are describing is that FG creates unique file names and part numbers for FG components. FG requires unique file names and I don't recommend that you assign your own file names. You can work around this by using some options for the part numbers and letting FG/Inventor assign the file names. This has been discussed in the forum many times previously. What option works for you depends on your own requirements. One option that I use is to create a formula for the part number that uses the Stock Number x G_L for all items that are cut to length and don't require additional fabrication. If additional holes or unique notches are required then I assign a part number to those items. I perform these changes to the part numbers in the BOM editor after the FG assembly is complete.

There are other options to solve this problem but they are probably to in depth to describe on the forum.

Hope this helps, Paul

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you all for your replies.

However, I think I wasn't clear enough in my description of the problem.

It's not that Frame Generator does not see my custom family. It is that it does not reflect the suppression state of the table - please see attached screen shots.

Mike

Message 7 of 12
pauldoubet

Is your custom CC linked to the original family that you copied it from? If so that is why you are seeing all of the sizes in your selection box. If you create a custom CC that is not linked to the parent this will go away.

All of the Design Accelerator Add-Ins for Inventor display this behavior if I remember correctly.

Paul

Message 8 of 12
jyothissurendran

Hi loren - Can u please advise how to do  this step

4) Select the family and break the link.

Jyothis Surendran
Autodesk Autocad 2014 & Inventor Professional Suite 2010
Windows 10
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jyothissurendran

I hate to burst this solutionbubble but i'm facing the same problem and yet the links of my family table are all broken...

I still get the surpressed items when accessing the FG.

Still no solution for this boys and girls?

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jyothissurendran

To aid you jyothissurendran:

Step 4 : Right click on the family -> Select Family Properties -> Select the last tab "Link" and check whether there are links.

If there is a link you can also see it on the icon by means of a shackle on the icon. If the link is broken you get a blueish icon with broken link.

If you want to be commletely free of links you "Save Copy As" the item.

Message 11 of 12
pauldoubet

You are not bursting anyones bubble because if done correctly it does work. As a matter of fact I can't remember that when it didn't work correctly.

As a new member you need to remember to post the version of Inventor you are using and as much other information as possible pertaining to your setup and the problem you are having. Otherwise you will get lots of useless information or none at all.

Hope this helps, Paul

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: pauldoubet

I'm using Inventor 2013 with all updated service packs, and it doesn't work. 🙂

My content parts it's lines or rows, are surpressed and are still showing up in the frame generator.

They are not showing up when just being placed in an assembly so i did it correctly i assume.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report