Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Retangular Spring + Animate

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
DocGreen
991 Views, 2 Replies

Curved Retangular Spring + Animate

A multi-part question:

1.) How do you recommend I model a rectangular spring?

2.) How do I apply the concept from the initial question and apply a curve to the spring?

3.) How do I mimic the properties of a spring in animation?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sam_m
in reply to: DocGreen

1) a wire with a rectangular cross-section coiled into a spring, or a round wire coiled/bent along a rectangular path?  Either way, probably best to use a 3d-sketch to draw a path and then sweep the wire cross-section along this path.

2) assuming the spring is bent/curved in 1 plane only, it's do-able.  In the past I've used a 2d sketch to draw a curved zig-zag which I can only describe as an accordion, starting on the vertical (or hoizontal) you know the angle and radus of the end of the curve, so draw that.  Knowing you want say 5 coils you can then divide this total curve into 10 (no of coils x 2) and these intervals, along with the spring diameter, will give you locations along the curve for the peaks & troughs of the spring.  Use these to give you points in the 3d sketch to then draw lines and rads to give the spring's path.  Create a new plane at one end of the spring and draw the wire's cross-section and sweep it.  Just take care with the cross-section's size compared with any rads along the path, if the cross section is larger than the rads then the sweep will fail.

3) using about - have the start angles constrained but the end angle adaptive.  All internal angles a parameter of the total divided by the coils and see how it goes.  I can imagine the sweep will fail as soon as the coil gets compressed tightly but should work ok for a good range of angles.

Considering this basically involved sketching the profile of each loop and then plotting the path for each loop in the 3d-sketch I think you'll soon go mad if it's any more than a few coils, so assess the need for it before starting 😉

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 3

Hi DocGreen,

In addition to the information sam_m provided, attached is an example file created and saved in Inventor 2010 (that's as far as I can go back currently). This file contains a Height and Bend parameter that are animated using the Studio environment, using the Animate Parameter tool.

Square Spring_bend.gif

You might see this link also, as JDMather has provided a more refined example of a rectangular spring technique:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Making-a-rectangular-spring/m-p/3441521#M433539

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report