Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve Driven Pattern - Multiple Tangent Curves?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mrattray
1175 Views, 6 Replies

Curve Driven Pattern - Multiple Tangent Curves?

Is there a way to use the curve driven (rectangular) pattern referencing two tangent curves (an arc and a tangent line). I'd like to be able to create this pattern of slots in one pattern, othrwise I'll have to make two cut features at each end and use one pattern for the straight and another for the curve.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: mrattray

Depends

are they the same distance appart if the curve was layed flat?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I would like them to be evenly spaced along the "flat" for the sake of simplicity, but they can be anything because the mating part is being designed and made at the same time.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Just for clarity - the part doesn't have to be something folded from a flat - I just wanted to make sure the distance measured along the curve rather than chord center-to-center distance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
mrattray

Of course the fact that's it's a flat piece of sheetmetal doesn't matter.

When these are done in AutoCAD they're defined by the angles between their chords. Nobody cares how they get defined in Inventor, though, what is important is that the distances and number of instances can change automatically to reflect changes to those curves. The length of the line and the circumferential length of that arc (and possibly the radius) will be changing.

Part file is attached to this post. Before you jump on me for it, I'm right in the middle of trying to get that ugly Sketch11 for the face sorted.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

Examine technique and then discard (edited in student version).

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mrattray

Ah, that's exactly what I needed. Now that I'm looking at this, I think I remember seeing this trick in your white paper.

Thank you, JD!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report