Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Wall Workflow Resources

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ContraJame
3717 Views, 7 Replies

Curtain Wall Workflow Resources

I'm in search of good resources for Inventor workflow for fenestration, specifically curtain wall but other forms (windows, doors, storefront, sunshades, louvers, glass) would be helpful as well.

In the past I toyed with frame generator and skeletal modeling.  The setup process was too cumbersome for me to pick it up quickly it seemed.  I also build pure assemblies with everything as individual parts but the level of detail required just for the extrusions always seemed to bury my video card/processor.

I found this thread which suggest iCopy.  What was discussed makes sense and may be my answer.  I also found Cohee's iCopy Technology Preview and Sketch Block Tip which relate.  I wish the sketch block video was more detailed.

So Inventor Discussion Group, what precious gems do you have on this topic that I can't seem to find?  Or what direction can you give me?  And if what I'm after isn't clear please ask for clarification.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jostroopers
in reply to: ContraJame

Here a link to a tutorial from Paul Mundford

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-icopy-tutorial/

Mvg Jos
Youre drawings are as good as the symbols that compleet them.....
Message 3 of 8
PaulMunford
in reply to: jostroopers

Thanks for posting a link jostroopers Smiley Happy

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 8
ContraJame
in reply to: jostroopers

Indeed, thanks for the link.  Every little bit helps.  And here I thought this thread was sinking to the bottom never to be seen again.

I also found this video which ironically is by someone who used to work where I work.  He has a couple other similar videos of actual curtain wall.

Message 5 of 8
Mike686

hi, i saw your post and found out you were looking for the same thing i do

a curtain wall workflow ressources.

have you found one?

you mentionned the rob cohee viedo for the icopy, i found it very useful 2

i'm an industrial draftsman for canada  working with curtain wall skylight and other aluminium frames

im trying to make the switch to inventor but finding the right tools and workflow to do it is not so easy

i'm trying it with the frame generator and so far it's been 50% succesful 50% not so succesful

maybe we could help each other out?

what do you say?

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 6 of 8
ContraJame

I've made some progress.  I'll try to give you a general outline of how I go from start to finish.

1. Develop all of my details in AutoCAD.  The better the extrusions and relationships are developed, the easier you'll have it when you get into Inventor.
  2. Create a part drawing.
  3. Develop a skeletal model type sketch or sketches defining the geometry required.
  4. Start pasting in details from AutoCAD, creating blocks of them from inside Inventor, and constraining them to the sketches.
  5. After all of the sketches are in place and properly constrained begin extruding as new solids.  The "new solid" part is key.  You can extrude everything in that one part as a new solid.
  6. Next do any tooling you require as features inside the same part.
  7. Finally, create a new assembly from all of the new solids you've created in that part.

If you've created your sketches and details correctly you should have a parametrically constranied elevation.  Going back and modifying the geometry of your base sketches should be passed down to your new assembly.  You may run into some bumps getting your die drawings to extrude.  I haven't perfected that method.  You may also have problems with complex geometry.  Building off of the origin point, lines, and planes seems to help.  The more you base your geometry on moveable parts, the greater your chances of the assembly breaking will be.

I hope this helps.

Message 7 of 8
Mike686

thanks for the reply

from what i understand you reproduce the technique show in the multibodies and icopy video from rob cohee

it seem to work fine when you have windowwall type of frame like in the video and only one division....the you can make a layout to use with icopy as he does...

but i work with curtain wall, like 3 different manufacturer and with each 3 or more series of curtain wall..differnet type or caps and mullion..

i think the frame generator would be more efficient but there some problem i can't seem to resolve

if only multibodies parts works better with the frame generator...

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 8 of 8

hi

can i get any work flow videos or screencast for curtainwall and claddings

thansks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report