Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossing pipes

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
atajabbas
406 Views, 13 Replies

Crossing pipes

Hello,

I tried to assymble pipe in Inventor 2015 (created as ipt) over another pipe crosswise and tieing both together by a bolt through a hole in both pipes and how to costrain the surfaces of the pipes over each other and aligne them through holes in both pipes.

Thank you

Ata Jabbar

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: atajabbas

Can you attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
atajabbas
in reply to: JDMather

Hello,Thank you for your reply.Attachment is my assymbly file for crossing pipes and boltsMu regards,Ata J. Abbas
Message 4 of 14
cbenner
Message 5 of 14
mpatchus

Try creating an extruded surface from the contour of the hole cut into the pipe.

Use this surface to constrain to the other pipe.

Make the radius of the surface equal to half the outside diameter of the crossing pipe.

Crossing Pipes 1.JPG

Crossing Pipes 2.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 14
atajabbas
in reply to: cbenner

Message 7 of 14
atajabbas
in reply to: cbenner

Here is my attachment thank you

Message 8 of 14
mflayler2

An IAM is nothing without the link linked parts.  Attach a ZIP of the IAM and the IPTs used in your design.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 14
atajabbas
in reply to: mpatchus

I tried this before, but the costraint of the pipes is fixed to the new surface and it remaines as  part  of the project

Message 10 of 14
atajabbas
in reply to: mflayler2

Here is the zip attachment for IAM & IPT of the parts. Thank you

Ata

Message 11 of 14
mflayler2

Inside the Pipe files....

Create a Work Axis through the holes.  You can then use a Mate Constraint in the IAM to line these up

Create 2 Work Planes using the Parallel to Plane and Tangent to Surface option on the top of the pipe and bottom of the pipe with the XY plane as your reference plane - Use Mate constraints in the assembly to put them together.

After this you just have to lock your rotation down which you can do with an Angle constraint or another Mate constraint to origin planes of the parts or assembly.

2015-02-05_9-08-10.jpg

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 12 of 14
atajabbas
in reply to: mflayler2

Hi,I appretiate your reply too much.Indeed, I have tried to follow your instructions and I have succeded to put them and locked with the hole axeses but the pipes came to constraint eaither locked through the xy plane through the centers or they come one over the other but unlocked verticaly inspite of that I created the work planes ut the bottom and the top one times I put them at the ipt mode and iam mode.Also the bolt dose not constrain correctly.
I hope that I am not heavy on your heart.
My regards,Ata J. Abbas
Message 13 of 14
mpatchus

See if this helps.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 14 of 14
mflayler2

Here is an Assembly of what I was trying to show you.

The planes are Mated just fine along with the Axis.  You just need to lock the rotation with another constraint.

If you add a washer, bolt, nut or anything else just use the planes and axis to constrain to.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report