Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Hatch

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
SKinzel
5505 Views, 10 Replies

Cross Hatch

I have an assembly that is made up of steel and brass parts.  I have assigned the material in each part but when I cross section the assembly in a drawing all sections use the ANSI32 section style.  I can't find a way to tell Inventor to use a cross hatch based upon the part material.  Am I blind or is this not possible?

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: SKinzel

Just RMB on the hatch and select "Edit", select the appropriate material from the Pattern drop-down menu.

Not b\y default, you must make the change yourself. All you get is the ability to select the default Hatch from the Styles Manager.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
SKinzel
in reply to: blair

That is what I ended up doing but it seems to me that if I assign a material to an IPT then the cross hatching of a drawing should recognize that and use that as a basis for what cross hatch pattern is used.  I was just suprised that Inventor doesn't seem to be able to determine what cross hatch pattern to use based upon the material property.

Stuart Kinzel
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 4 of 11
Xun.Zhang

Hi Kinzel,

Please ues Style Editor for cutomerize for the first time or save the style to a template, then you could get the hatch by materials assigned.

Steps:

1. Open Style Editor in a blank Draing.

2. Select the Stardard style which in use.

3. Tab "Material hatch patten default" to change the Default hatch for each Material.

4. Save the style.

Untitled.png

Xun
Message 5 of 11
SKinzel

Thank you.  This is what I was looking for.  I am a little suprised that this isn't set up as default so that different materials will use the "defined" cross hatch patterns.

Stuart Kinzel
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 6 of 11
Mike686

hi, i've been wondering if there's a way to tell inventor to place the angle of an hatch patern parallel to a line..

i'm doing glass panel and when i do a section of it i wish to see the line parallel to the panel

i want the result to look like the pdf file i've joint

is it possible and if yes how would i do that

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 7 of 11
JDMather

@SKinzel wrote:

I am a little suprised that this isn't set up as default so that different materials will use the "defined" cross hatch patterns.

Are you assigning Materials (physical properties) or are you assigning colors/textures with material names?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
SKinzel
in reply to: JDMather

In 2013 I open the Material Browser and assign a material to the model.  I've assigned different colors to different matierals to help me easily remember what is made out of what.  Plus, looking at a monochrome assembly model is boring.  I just thought it was a little strange that by default Inventor seems to use the ANSI 32 hatch pattern for almost all of the materials.  On a drawing one of the quickst and easiest ways to differentiate materials is by their cross hatching.  Inventor 2011 was the same as I recall.

I was taught that the hatch pattern for steel looked like ANSI 32 and that aluminum (ANSI 38), iron (ANSI 31) and other materials used other patterns.  Maybe that isn't specified in any actual, official drafting standard?  My drafting classes have been so long ago that maybe I am misremembering and I just incorporated one company's rule of thumb into my personal preferences.

Stuart Kinzel
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 9 of 11
blair

If you check the Styles Manager, you will find that someone at Autodesk has ANSI31 set for all the material (I hope that this was an oversight or possibly some programmers last work day at Autodesk).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
blissmx
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Is there a way to do this in AutoCad 2013?

I have a 3D model made of Alumn, Steel, Glass and MDF...

When using the layout command and creating cross sections from my model, is there a way to assign a hatch to a material (or layer) so when I creat a cross section, the hatch patterens are assigned based on the layer they are on, or the matterial that is assigned to that layer?

At the moment, all layers and materials are using the same hatch. I don't want to go through my entire drawing package and moidify each individual hatch.

Help...

Please....

-Ben

Message 11 of 11
blair
in reply to: blissmx

You would be best served if you posted AutoCAD questions to the AutoCAD forum. It's been a long time since I really used AutoCAD other than for some simple lines to get a CNC flame cut profile.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report