Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating thin bodies changes material properties to "Generic"

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
juan.j.alfonzo
493 Views, 9 Replies

Creating thin bodies changes material properties to "Generic"

When I create thin bodies in Autodesk Inventor Simulation 2014, it changes the material to "Generic", if I have more than one material and I convert all of them to thin bodies, Inventor will change the properties of all of them to "Generic". The tricky part is that if I go to Assign materials it shows the original parts with the original name, i.e. original part was QT-100, then I convert it to a thin body, if I go to Assign materials and look for that especific part it tells me it is QT-100 but if I pick the part within the assembly enviroment the material browser tells me it is Generic, and behaves like generic when running the simulation. 

Any ideas as for why this is happening? 

Thank you,

J. Alfonzo

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: juan.j.alfonzo

Odd, make sure that you are current on all SP's and hot-fixes. Can you post the part or two that it's happening on so we can test it as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
blair
in reply to: blair

Can you either post the offending part or e-mail it to me to test.

blair dot stunder at arcticmfg dot com

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10

Hello Blair,

I am up to date with the service packs.

Attached there is a sample assembly which consists in two parts, a square tubing 3" x 3" and a flat bar. Square tubing is supposed to be 50W grade C, when you go to Stress Analysis enviroment and convert it into a thin body and then you click on it, at the material box it will recognize it as "Generic". I  am not sure if this behaviour is normal when running an analysis mixing solid parts and thin bodies. 

Thank you.

J. Alfonzo

Message 5 of 10
blair

You need to attach the IPT's for the IAM. The IAM is only a "Data-Base" file which tells Inventor which files are required, their position and constraints used.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10
juan.j.alfonzo

Sure, you are right. Please see attached parts.

Message 7 of 10
juan.j.alfonzo

Sure, you are right. Please see attached parts.

Message 8 of 10
blair

The model meshes with the material you have chosen, the Over-Ride, shows as defines. If you look at the drop-down boxes for the Over-Ride, Generic and Rubber do have warnings, this is because there are no physical properties attached to these materials. Also Rubber is an Anisotropic material which would be fine for non-linear analysis but not for Linear analysis such as in Inventor FEA. If you send me an e-mail at the address I provided I can send you pictures. Our network doesn't allow me to send attachments via this user forum. Blair

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 10
blair

Check that you have all the current SP's and Updates for Inventor. Seen a couple of updates for the FEA.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 10
juan.j.alfonzo

Over ride should show AS DEFINED shouldn't it?  I also have that warning for Generic but not for rubber material. Even with that warning in there if I am not using Generic for any of my parts, it shouldn't affect the simulation right?

J. Alfonzo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report