Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating sketches in the weldment environment.

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
kenr
369 Views, 1 Reply

Creating sketches in the weldment environment.

I am confused. I am sure at the launch of 2015 at the Stamford Plaza we were told the sketch option was now available in all areas of Inventor.

I find this to not be exactly accurate information. Sure the sketch tab is available in a weldment, but you can't do anything with it.

My workflow process is
1. Build the components that form the full system - (Top level Assembly)
2. Build the sub level weldments - only parts that are welded together are used here.
3. Build the sub level Assembly - this is the sub level weldment along with the parts that bolts on, valves, switches, rams etc.
4. Build the next level Assembly until I arrive at the Top Level Assembly - A full Minipactor system with all components, parts, hoses, wires etc.

I have come across a rather frustrating discovery in the weldment.

I have the body shell with all welded parts as a weldment. See attached JPG. But I need to cut a hole, only on the passenger side to have a safety switch weldment fitted in behind (welded into place). The left and right side panel is the same pressing, same length same everything, except a few holes and piercing for equipment mounting.

What is the best way to handle this?
I would rather not have to make separate sheets for each side as they then can be inadventently be forgotten to update one plate when I do the other. Deriving doesn't work for this reason as well.

Regards
Ken.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JDMather
in reply to: kenr

To create features at the assembly level go into prep or post machining weldment environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report