Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating sheetmetal flanges on cut angles

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jason
2531 Views, 14 Replies

Creating sheetmetal flanges on cut angles

I am trying to create flanges on the inside of a cut angle from a contour flange based drawing see attached file.  I am not able to get the flanges to attach since the material thickness varies due to the cut.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rdyson
in reply to: jason

First, learn to completely constain your sketches to avoid problems later.

1.jpg

Then use Cut Across Bend

2.jpg

Then you will be able to add your flanges

3.jpg

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:

Then use Cut Across Bend

Uhmmm, I don't think that will result in the correct geometry.Cut across bend.pngCan you attach your solution here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
JDMather

jason,

If you model with obvious symmetry about the origin and use geometry constraints like equal = and colinear you can use far fewer dimensions to control your model.

You might read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/Symmetry.pngskillsusa%20university.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Try this one.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
jason

Thank you for the help I get the same issue following your example.  I am trying a few things to get the plane to cut straight across and not down so it cuts on a 45 straight across on the left and right side.

Message 7 of 15
jeff
in reply to: JDMather

Hi! Here is another way that I tried to add flanges to a sloped edge. See attached file.

Inventor Pro 2016 SP1 Update 1 Windows 7 64-bit 24G RAM
Custom Build Micro ATX
Nvidia Quadro K4200
Message 8 of 15
eman6398

I have done a few things like this using a surface then using the thickening comand. to make sure it is completely flat.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 9 of 15
eman6398
in reply to: eman6398

well almost completely flat.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 10 of 15
dirtcat
in reply to: eman6398

Forum,

I have consulted my Inventor book and researched the forum to my problem and this thread was the closest I've gotten. I have several sheetmetal parts in which I have to create a flange on an angled part. And I have tried just about everything from different flange options including the loop option which I had no success with.... to attempting a face which it would not create beccause it is a non-manifold edge... to using the cut option differently so it would cut across the bend but this would not work because it only cuts the thickness of the metal and I need it to cut all...to finally resorting to exporting the flat pattern of the main face into AutoCad and drawing in the flange manually.

If there is another thread that can give me a hint then please post it. I am attaching my latest attempt as well as the dwg I have to go by. 

Thank You,

Tonya Sweeting

Message 11 of 15
dirtcat
in reply to: dirtcat

Not only that,when I try to create the flat pattern it errors that the topology belongs to more than one bend no matter which way I try to cut the angle....or which face...cut or extrusion...

Tonya Sweeting

Message 12 of 15
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: dirtcat

See attached.

Message 13 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! It looks like you are on 2012. Could you upgradte to 2015 or 2016? Sheet Metal Cut Normal feature would resolve this requirement easily. For 2012, you can try a technique with good result.

1) Move EOP to right below Cut1.

2) Go to 3D Model -> Thicken -> uncheck Automatic-Blend -> Intersect -> go to More tab -> Automatic Face Chain -> select all outside faces -> Distance = Thickness.

3) Repeat step 2 for inside faces.

Now the cut edges should be ready to create flanges.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

You are replying to a 4 yr old thread - not the new "hijacked" problem description.  The secondary poster appears to be using r2015 Service Pack 0  (it might be a good idea to update to SP1 and Update 3).

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
dirtcat
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

You are a lifesaver!!

Thank you for teaching me what I didn't know!! I will use this method in practice several times in the next few days. 

Thank You,

Tonya Sweeting 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report