Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating parts lists from Multi Body Modelling Files

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
AngloInteriors
3591 Views, 22 Replies

Creating parts lists from Multi Body Modelling Files

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and just finding my way around so I'm sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere but we are having problems with parts lists and multi body modelling files and I'm hoping someone out there has the answer.

We have started using the multi body modelling tools to quickly model a series of components for a simple joinery carcass in a single part file which is then saved out as standard assembly file. However when we add a parts list for the assembly we are unable to obtain the length, width, thickness of each panel and only receive the dimensions for the original part.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Regards

Andy

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: AngloInteriors

I always call my multi-body solid something like ABC123-Master.ipt and then use the Tools>Make Components to push out the individual parts and assembly.

Keep everything in one folder and what difference does it make that there is one extra file.

Well, one difference it makes is now there is a part for each part - so everything else down the line is more like the real world and would solve your problem description.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 23
kevin.baker
in reply to: JDMather

Unfortunately we already use the make part function to 'push out' the parts into an assembly my problem is when creating a parts list from that assembly I have an empty box for the length, width and thickness of each panel. In turn this data is then exported out into cutting lists and optimisers etc and it is very important to our business we get the information in this format.

Message 4 of 23

Check this out for advice on top down:http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/product-design-suite/ma2604

Read up on some advice here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-for-Woodworkers-Joinery-Millwork-and-Cabinet...

Or buy this:
http://woodworkforinventor.com

We've recently begun to move away from multibodies to ilogic driven parts...

Good luck!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 23
pcrawley
in reply to: kevin.baker

I think you might be looking for something that isn't there.  You can create a multi-body part file, but the length, width, thickness parameters are applicable to the part - not the individual bodies.  Therefore when you use "Make Components", the bodies won't have their own length, width, thickness parameters.

Are the bodies you generate simply extruded rectangles?  If they are, there is a way to interrogate the body and calculate length, width, and thickness, but it requires a bit of iLogic.  (If they are any more complicated than cuboids - 6 regular flat faces - then I can't help sorry!)

Peter
Message 6 of 23
AngloInteriors
in reply to: pcrawley

Thanks both of you,

Paul I started looking at the links last night and its interesting to see the volume of help out there for inventor users, much appreciated. I'll look into ilogic shortly and I'm sure will have plenty of questions then as well!

Peter, yes in general these would be simple cuboids (as a shopfitting company much of our work revolves around MDF carcass work) so any advice on would be appreciated.

Andy

Message 7 of 23
pcrawley

Andy - Once you get into iLogic, there's no escape... it's seriously adictive.

I'll have a look for the code I wrote - but you might have to wait for the weekend sorry.

Peter
Message 8 of 23
mrattray

I don't know what an MDF carcass is. Are these sheet metal parts?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 23
pcrawley
in reply to: mrattray

Carcasses - have a look at these.  MDF is just the material.  No reason why you shouldn't use Sheet Metal tools in Inventor for creating them - although MDF is tricky to bend unless you get the right tools/techniques.  That said, SM tools in Inventor would be useful because you can quickly change the design through sheet metal rules.

Andy - I found the code and will send it to you in a private message.  If you think it worthy of public consumption, let me know and I'll post it here.

(I'm assuming you just want Length, Width, and Thickness as custom iProperties?  At the moment the code writes those parameters to a spreadsheet but I can easily tweak it.)

Peter
Message 10 of 23
pcrawley

Hi Andy - Check your forum email.

Peter
Message 11 of 23
PaulMunford

I think it's worthy for public consumption!

Post it, post it - pleeeease 😉

Message 12 of 23
pcrawley

Hi Andy - did you get a chance to try it?

Peter
Message 13 of 23
pcrawley
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi Paul - it's in your forum mail.

Peter
Message 14 of 23
footprint_it

Good Afternoon

I would be very interested in the VB or VBA Code to get the overall part size/ dimension for each body in a multi body part

as mentioned in the follow forum :-

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/creating-parts-lists-from-multi-body-modelling-files/t...

Many Thanks

Message 15 of 23
pcrawley
in reply to: footprint_it

Hi footprint_it - check your forum mail.

This was written in 2014, so don't test me on it please!

Peter
Message 16 of 23
chris

Yep... additive, it started as out a fun thing to do during the lunch break and has turned into all templates include iLogic and almost every part I make has iLogic built in, lol

Message 17 of 23

Good Afternoon

I would be very interested in the Code to get the overall part size/ dimension  for each body in a multi body part as mentioned in the follow forum.

thanks

Message 18 of 23

@christian.camilo.rengifo wrote:

Good Afternoon

I would be very interested in the Code to get the overall part size/ dimension  for each body in a multi body part as mentioned in the follow forum.

thanks

Hi @christian.camilo.rengifo,

There is an example ilogic rule at this link:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/separate-multibody-part-inside-assembly/m-p/7171674#M6...

That rule is intended to be run in the assembly file that results from using the Make Components tool to write out each solid as a part in the assembly.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 19 of 23
mehtasudarshana

hi,

I would appreciate if you could please share this code with me too. I am also in the joinery industry and am struggling to create the part list from a multi body ipt to have my parameters filled in. Please help by sharing the code. thank you

Message 20 of 23

I recommend that you look into Woodwork for Inventor:
https://www.woodworkforinventor.com/

Not only will W4I do this for you, but it includes smart materials that can include information on facings and edgebanding, smart components, that can include their own machining, nesting, and CAM.

It is aimed specifically at woodworkers, allowing you a flexible workflow with complete automation of cutting tickets and CAM files.

In the long run, it will cost less that trying to cobble iLogic together (I know - I did it the hard way first!).

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report