Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Multiple Drawings for iParts

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jamiebryson
4896 Views, 7 Replies

Creating Multiple Drawings for iParts

I've created an iPart (for this discussion, lets just say a cube..)

with 6 variations of the same part (its height has a choice of 6 different values in the iPart table)..

I've created a drawing (idw) which dimensions the cube in one of the 6 instances..

..Is there any way to replicate the drawing another 5 times, with each referencing each instance of the iPart?

I was imagining copying the drawing 6 times and change each one to look for a different instance (a bit like when you go component - replace in an assembly..) then the drawing to automatically update the altered dimension.. however I don't think this is possible?

Is there anyway to do this? this would save me producing and re-drawing 6 seperate idw files for the same thing where only one dimension changes each time!

Thanks a lot,

Jamie

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jtylerbc
in reply to: jamiebryson

Yes, it's definitely possible, and not really all that difficult.  If you go into the Edit View box for the views placed in your drawing (change it on the base view if you have projected views), then go to the Model State tab, you can pick which iPart member you want the drawing to show.

So, make your copies as you suggested, then go through them and set the members as needed to show the 5 parts in their respective drawings.  Unless there are suppressed features or something like that involved that cause differences in edges, all of your dimensions should update when you change the instance setting.

Message 3 of 8
jamiebryson

Exactly what I was looking for.. just missed the 'edit view' option!

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
jtylerbc

You're welcome.

An alternative to this would be use use a tabulated drawing.  Pick one member to show on the drawing, then use the General Table command to create a table of the part numbers, descriptions, dimensions, etc.  You can then use dimensions with overridden text (ex. "DIM A") to match up to the table.

I didn't mention it before because it wasn't really what you were asking for, but it might be something to consider if there's not a real need to have 5 individual drawings.

Message 5 of 8
jamiebryson
in reply to: jtylerbc

Haha, Thanks.

My manager told me about producing a tabulated drawing about 30mins before you posted. However, knowing how to produce several drawings is extremely useful as the part in question has several parameters and not just a single dimension as a variable!

Jamie

Message 6 of 8
YohaiBB
in reply to: jtylerbc

Hello,

I have another problem regarding the ipart and the drawings.

I have 1 drawing for an ipart. lets say the ipart has 3 instances. the names are 111, 222, and 333.

I want to create for each ipart instance pdf file of the drawing. (so i don't need to make 3 different idw files, only one).

when i save the first instance (111), the part number is 111, and the pdf file gets the name 111.

when i change the instance to 222, the idw file part number doesn't changed to 222 (it still 111), and the pdf name is 111 (but i want the name to be 222).

what i am doing tight now, i am changing manually the part number, and when i save the file to pdf, i change the name manually (to 222).

is there a way to do it automatically? 

i want to change the ipart instance to 222, and automatically the part number will be updated and the pdf file name will be updated (when i am doing save as).

thanks in advance,

Yohai

Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: YohaiBB

Hi Yohai,

This can be done. Every time you change the reference in the idw file, you can go to Tools -> Document Settings -> Drawing tab -> Copy Model iProperty Settings -> Ok. Then the iPart member iProperties will be propagated to the idw file. Is this what you are looking for?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
YohaiBB
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi

I did the copy model iproperty and it worked fine. thanks. when I am doing "export to pdf" the pdf name is not been updated for the ipart instance i am using. the pdf file take the name of the original ipart instance i started the drawing with. do you know how to make pdf file name been updated?

thanks,

yohai

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report