Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Flat Pattern of Curved Sheet Metal Inventor 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CJ.10E-10mm
1237 Views, 4 Replies

Creating Flat Pattern of Curved Sheet Metal Inventor 2014

Can anyone help me flatten the curved sheet metal in the attached file please.

Whilst I can determine the length of the wide curved base of the triangular part manually I cannot determine the angle of the three edges.

The part is from a critical piece of equipment, hence my requirement to know the precise angles of all three edges when flattened.

Many thanks.

CJ

PS It doesn't have to be a sheet metal part if another method would work OK.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: CJ.10E-10mm

Why are the faces curved (only about the thickness of a sheet of paper) rather than planar?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
JoAnn_Hogan

Hi CJ.

I dont quite understand what you are trying to do. Please have a look at my attachment. Is the red lines the lines you are trying to get the angle from? And how do you want to unfold this part if it is not bended to start with?

Please correct me if im wrong

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 5
CJ.10E-10mm
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi JoAnn.

I have reworked the part to exaggerated the curvature, which although slight, is absolutely necessary for the proper functioning of the equipment.

I was hoping that we could have the parts laser cut flat and then have the angles ground on all 3 edges and then finally have the curvature applied in a press.

But to achieve this I need to know to what extent, the curvature alters the mitred angles to the  2 equal sides that meet at the summit.

Otherwise I will have to either manually calculate the flat size to allow it to be laser cut, then apply the curvature and finally then apply the angles to the three faces.

Alternatively, cut the part from thicker material so that the curvature to the front and back faces can be milled afterwards, which will add considerably to the cost.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Message 5 of 5
CJ.10E-10mm

Hi,

I am hoping to resolve my unfolding problem of what in effect is a parabolic curved surface by using an add-in app from Solid3DTech called SmartUnfold.

I will update this message as soon as I have a flattened profile.

Many thanks,

cj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report