Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 1 of 11 (5,751 Views)
Accepted Solution

Creating Expanded Metal Mesh

5751 Views, 10 Replies
01-18-2012 10:38 AM

Hello all,

As my journey through Inventor 2012 continues, I have the task of creating Expanded Metal Mesh.I have the basic sketch of the shape and all is well.  My question is how to pattern the sketch of the shape so that I dont have to copy or mirror over 100 of these sketches/outlines to form the pattern?  Essentially I want my mesh to fill in a 30' x 30' square.

Thanks all!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 2 of 11 (5,747 Views)

Re: Creating Expanded Metal Mesh

01-18-2012 10:51 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

There are textures and color styles available in Inventor to "fake" expanded metal, without actually modelling it.  Unless there is a specific reason you need the real geometry, I'd recommend using them (modifying as needed) to create your mesh.  I used a sketch to create some geometry to use as a guide for scaling the texture to achieve the size I wanted.

Cutting the real geometry uses up a lot of memory, so don't do it unless you really need to.

If you need accurate weights, you can create a material style with a density that produces the average weight of the material (which you should be able to get from your supplier, probably in lb / sq ft).

I've set this up for a couple of our commonly used sizes (will add more as needed).  I've attached one as an example.  This version is set up for #9, 3/4" flattened expanded metal.  I've also changed the primary color of the texture to Red (from the default Gray version), since most of our equipment is painted red.

John Tyler
Inventor 2015
Windows 7 64 Bit
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 3 of 11 (5,742 Views)

01-18-2012 11:00 AM in reply to: jtylerbc

Essentially I need it to show how we are welding it to our frame.  So I suppose just a texture would infact work.  Also I am using the exact same size 3/4 #9F.  I tried opening your attachment with no luck.  Thanks for your reply!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 11 (5,737 Views)

01-18-2012 11:05 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

GSE_Dan_A wrote:

I tried opening your attachment with no luck. 

When you download tell it to save as Screen.ipt rather than that long name.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 5 of 11 (5,734 Views)

01-18-2012 11:09 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD!
Now as far as scale is concerned, how accurate is it?  I need it to be fairly accurate because I need to determine if my frame needs to be adjusted in order to allow the Metal Mesh to be welded properly (based on standard metal mesh sheet sizes). 

Also the texture does not show up in my idw... this is where I need it to show as I would like to show how the mesh is welded.  Thanks again guys for your help.... much appreciated!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 6 of 11 (5,730 Views)

01-18-2012 11:16 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

I would describe it as "visually close," but won't guarantee dimensional accuracy.  I took the opening width from some specs I had, drew a sketch with a line that long, and scaled the texture until it was close enough to look right.  For my purposes, that's really all that was required.

The weight is correct, though.  In fact, the only reason it is modeled as 12" x 12" was to verify the weight against the specs.

With regards to the drawing, you are correct.  It will not show up unless you use shaded views on the drawing.  On the drawings where we show these types of screens, our views typically are shaded anyway, so it's not a problem for us.

John Tyler
Inventor 2015
Windows 7 64 Bit
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 7 of 11 (5,725 Views)

01-18-2012 11:22 AM in reply to: jtylerbc

Hmmm that may be problematic... Ill have to see what the boss says :smileyvery-happy:

I will admit it does look pretty fancy!  Thanks again jtylerbc and JD!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 8 of 11 (5,717 Views)

01-18-2012 11:34 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Applying a hatch pattern in the IDW might be a decent workaround versus having to shade the view... Autodesk really needs to give us some better functionality for this.. Forcing a shaded view is not a proper solution IMO.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 11 (5,711 Views)

01-18-2012 11:45 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

GSE_Dan_A wrote:

Thanks JD!
Now as far as scale is concerned, how accurate is it? 

You can create your own color (texture) and scale it to be fairly accurate if it is not already close.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 10 of 11 (5,699 Views)

01-18-2012 12:32 PM in reply to: JDMather

I placed the Metal Mesh view over the frame view in my drawing so I only had to shade view the metal mesh... looks pretty good!

See pic below for end result

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.