Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating decals with transparent background!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ktucker
12375 Views, 10 Replies

Creating decals with transparent background!

Do anyone know how to create a decal with a transparent background? At the moment I need to save the bitmap image's background colour as the colour of the part that I place it on. This obviously prevents you to reuse a standard decal on different coloured components.

I have tried different image formats that I created in Photoshop and gave them a transparent background, but when I place it in Inventor the background shows.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ktucker

After you place the image in the sketch,
right-click the image in the browser (child of the sketch) and select
properties. In the Properties dialog box, check Use Mask. The pixel in the lower
right corner of the image becomes the transparency mask color.

If you start the Image tool inside a sketch,
right-click and select How-To from the context menu. (Good technique for
exploring new tools).

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Do
anyone know how to create a decal with a transparent background? At the moment
I need to save the bitmap image's background colour as the colour of the part
that I place it on. This obviously prevents you to reuse a standard decal on
different coloured components. I have tried different image formats that I
created in Photoshop and gave them a transparent background, but when I place
it in Inventor the background shows.
Message 3 of 11
ktucker

Thanks a million! Battled more than a day trying to find an answer.
Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Sounds like you got it, but make sure you do not use jpg as the image source as even what appears to be a solid bacground color will actually be different shades which means it will not completely hide.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
ktucker

Ye, I normally use bitmap format so I will not have that problem.

Thanks again.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

PNG's are much more compact and are
lossless.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Ye,
I normally use bitmap format so I will not have that problem. Thanks
again.
Message 7 of 11
dbcox

Hello everyone,

I am bring up an old thread here, but I found it while searching for a solution to my problem.  I have a decal with standard Arial font and a small logo.  It is all black.  I am applying it to a coiled surface.  Everything is working great, even the transparency, with one exception.  Some of the logo, and all of the fonts, are outlined with a thin white line.  How do I get rid of that?

The logo was created in Photoshop and I've tried both PNG and BMP formats.  I also tried a transparent GIF, but still had to turn on transparency in the image file properties.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: dbcox

@dbcox wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am bring up an old thread here, but I found it while searching for a solution to my problem.  I have a decal with standard Arial font and a small logo.  It is all black.  I am applying it to a coiled surface.  Everything is working great, even the transparency, with one exception.  Some of the logo, and all of the fonts, are outlined with a thin white line.  How do I get rid of that?

The logo was created in Photoshop and I've tried both PNG and BMP formats.  I also tried a transparent GIF, but still had to turn on transparency in the image file properties.

Thanks!

@dbcox Can you post the image here?

You probably just need to clean up the image some.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 11
dbcox
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have attached an example that I created from the original.  I cannot paste the original because it has my client's information and part numbers on it.  I tried this one and it has the same issue.  I should also clarify that the issue appears on screen and in a rendered image.
Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: dbcox

@dbcox

Seems to be a limitation/issue with Autodesks "mask" functionality..

Its not "exacting" enough or something..

If you use a darker background color you can just about cancel out the effect.. 

Use a dark gray background with black text and you don't notice it at all..

With a transparent png autodesk seems to see a white background and when masked you see the white..

With a red background/mask you see a red border around everything..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 11
dbcox

That worked perfectly! Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report